Question

Tutor
IAmMelinda
Message 1 of 16 (10,265 Views)
Accepted Solution

Photosmart C309a ink problem

At the moment, I can print nothing.  I send something to the printer and it goes through the motions but nothing prints out on the page.  A few days ago it started printing with some lines faded and broken up and then almost nothing and now nothing.  However, a picture printed last night was wonderful

I'll start by confirming that according to the Solution Center (which I despise, by the way) there is ink in all my cartridges.  The photo one is low but still shows as having some.  I hardly ever print photos and this was new a few months ago so I don't understand how it was all used either - another mystery.

Anyone else come across this?  Thanks.

Teacher
team79
Message 2 of 16 (10,261 Views)

Re: Photosmart C309a ink problem

The faded and nothing could be the ink cartridges (empty--Yes I know the solution center said they still had ink)

I would try removing and re-inserting all cartridges except the photo black and then if you still have the problem I would suggest trying a new black cartridge and seeing if you get some black text printed.

It could also be that your print head is clogged or broken I would try the clean print head option in the Tools menu and

if that doesn't work either contact HP or try the information below but be sure to note the cautions about handling the print head

Student
UnemployedEGR

Re: HP Photosmart C309a won't print after installing new black ink cartridge.

REAL SOLUTION. I had same experience, spent hours pulling my hair out as kids had project do at school and it was 10pm. Your carriage is clogged! HERE IS THE FIX!! : 1) Remove all ink cartridges. 2) Remove carriage that the ink cartridges ride in by lifting lever on right and lifting the carriage vertically. 3) Wipe off any ink build-up visible on outside with clean rag or paper towel. 4) THIS IS THE KEY: Hold carriage under hot flowing water to flush all ink from the irrigation channels which distribute ink. Keep rinsing until water in clear i.e. no signs of ink. 5) Dry carriage with clean rag and blow into areas you can access to flush water remnants. 6)Let carriage air dry over night. 7) Re-install carriage, then re-install ink cartridges. 8) ENJOY YOUR PRINTER. 9) I have seen numerous entries on this topic dating back two years, with no real solution offered. I am an unemployed Auto Engineer. If HP (or anyone else) would like to hire an intelligent, hardworking Engineer in Detroit area, please inform. Thank you!

Message 6 of 11 (2,324 Views)

Use commas between Tags

Bob_Headrick
Regents ProfessorRegents Professor
Regents Professor
Kudos: 1,251
Solutions: 538

UnemployedEGR wrote:

[snip] 5) Dry carriage with clean rag and blow into areas you can access to flush water remnants. [snip]

This step could permanently damage the printhead. Blowing into the printhead could cause the layers to delaminate, destroying the printhead. Be careful....

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer.
<---- If my answer was helpful please click the "Kudos" star.
If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->
Message 7 of 11 (2,309 Views)

Use commas between Tags

Student
bobajob123

This absolutely works. Take care though, and only use luke-warm water, and eventually all of the old ink will disappear and the water will run clear. I dried the print head using cool from a hair dryer held at least 30cm away after shaking all of the water out of the print head. Run a 'clean print head' function after replacing the head and cartridges. Simply brilliant.

Tutor
IAmMelinda
Message 3 of 16 (10,254 Views)

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I took the cartridges out, shook them around for good measure and reinserted them.  Then I ran "clean print heads" twice.  That seems to have done the trick.  I also got another photo black cartridge to have on hand "just in case."  I appreciate the quick help.  Thanks again.

Tutor
Eurosid
Message 4 of 16 (10,241 Views)

The warm water method with the print head is something an HP technician recommended to me several months ago with my c309g.  I've done that only one time.  So that is not a HP recommended solution?  Egads!

Message 5 of 16 (10,231 Views)

Eurosid wrote:

The warm water method with the print head is something an HP technician recommended to me several months ago with my c309g.  I've done that only one time.  So that is not a HP recommended solution?  Egads!

The part I object to is "blowing into the printhead" or running water into it which can damage it.  I like the procedure here, with no forced air or water into the printhead.

I do not work for HP.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Teacher
filgrastin
Message 6 of 16 (7,644 Views)

I have the best method of all - Get rid of the 309a printer altogether.  I have used HP printers for years without any problems until I purchased the 309a.  I have had so many problems that I was able to resolve with countless visits from a computer person.  However, I purchased a cartridge from Staples that turned out to be defective and it finished the ruining of  the printer.  As soon as I installed the cartridge I heard a "shuddering" sound and bits of paper blew out from my printer.  I immediately disconnected the printer and removed the cartridge.  There was an error message on the display that read "defective cartridge."  After removing the shredded papers from my printer I took the "defective cartridge back to Staples and they issued me a replacement cartridge.  I put the replacement cartridge back into the printer and that is when I discovered that my printer was not going to work properly.  I went through all of the methods, cleaning the printhead and attempting to align the printer when I got a message on the display (alignment failed).  Now I can print from the printer but I cannot receive faxes.  The fax feature works, however when faxes arrive they are completely blank.  I have only used HP cartridges in this printer, I have only used HP paper but the printer could care less.  I am now researching printers (not HP printers) and will be purchasing a new printer within the next couple of weeks.  I have read all of the negativity about the 309a printer on the Internet and I know that I am not alone in having decided to never purchase an HP printer again.  I will not purchase a new printhead because the printer probably has decided that it has just gone to sleep forever.   Goodbye HP.

Student
aamarney
Message 7 of 16 (5,007 Views)

Thank you for saying this so distinctly.  I am tired of being told I am "out of ink" when I am not; paying ridiculous prices for cartridges including ones I don't use; hearing it clunk ike it was made in 1913 and now (for the third time) will not print black.  I have lost almost a full day of work and am still waiting for the cartridge holder to dry in hopes it will work.  Tomorrow I will be shopping for a new printer and it won't be (and never will be again) an HP and out of 4 friends who have them, all 4 will never get another one when their's fails.

Student
flyingphil
Message 8 of 16 (4,346 Views)

My C309A has only lasted four years of light use. After two years, started getting  strange messages about things plugged in to the USB port that weren't there, then it refused to shut off, then it refused to scan, then refused to fax, despite uploading the latest drivers. What a waste of money and equipment.

Honor Student
catnip
Message 9 of 16 (3,866 Views)

I've just bought & installed new cartridges today & the only thing that will print on a test page is a block of colours no print at all. Please help I'm desperate. Regards Catnip

Master's Graduate
HandyAndy14
Message 10 of 16 (3,828 Views)

Hello catnip,

I would like to provide you with some troubleshooting steps to hopefully resolve this issue.

1. Follow the steps from this document first (perform step 4 twice): http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c03957991&lc=en&product=3737195&tmp...
  2. Only if steps 1 through 4 were followed from the last document and it's still not working, follow the steps from this HP Forum post provided by Bob_Headrick: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Printing-Questions/HP-6500-Office-jet-E709a-Black-printer-cartrid...

Let me know if this works.

Thank you,

HandyAndy14
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the KUDOS STAR on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation