Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I haven't used my printer for a while, but when I set it up and tried to print a document, the page came out blank. The ink cartridges are not empty, and I did try installing new ink cartridges with the same result. The printer seems to be working normally other than that, just no ink transfer. I can't figure out what to do.

Assistance much appreciated!  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK, one final thing to check - remove the ink cartridges and gently blot the nozzle area (where the ink should come out) with a damp clean tissue.  A good cartrdige will leave strong blots of black or cyan, magenta and yellow ink on the tissue.  If there is no ink, or only a weak smudge then the cartridges are likely at fault.  If the ink blot is strong and dark then likely the problem is in the printer and service will be required.

After doing the above try printing a diagnostic page as shown in this document.  Is there any trace at all of printing on the page?  If there is then additional cleaning cycles may resolve the issue.  If there is a strong blot of ink on the tissue from the test above but no trace of printing there is likely an issue with the printer electronics.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

It seems the ink cartridges may have dried out.  This especially could happen if the printer is turned off from an external switch.  The troubleshooting steps in this document may help resolve the issue

If the above does not help try the following:  remove the cartridges and place them nose down in separate cups with about 1" of very hot (but not boiling) water.  Soak the cartridge for about 5 minutes, then remove the cartridge from the water and dry the electrical contacts with a lint free cloth.  A coffee filter works well for this.  After soaking try a test page as shown in the troubleshooting document above.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Nothing in the document helped. 

I will try soaking the cartridges, but I'm confused by what is meant by "nose down," because I'm not sure which part of the cartridge is the nose... can you please explain?

HP Recommended

Sorry about the non-clarity.  You want to put the cartridge in the water in the same orientation it would be in the printer - the part with the nozzles where the ink comes out should be pointing down, the label with the cartridge number will be on top.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Thank you for clarifying.

I soaked both of the cartridges, but still nothing shows up when I try to print anything. I replaced one of the cartridges with a new one that I happened to have, but still, nothing is showing up on the page.

Do you know anything else that might solve the problem? I've never had any problems with this printer before.  

HP Recommended

OK, one final thing to check - remove the ink cartridges and gently blot the nozzle area (where the ink should come out) with a damp clean tissue.  A good cartrdige will leave strong blots of black or cyan, magenta and yellow ink on the tissue.  If there is no ink, or only a weak smudge then the cartridges are likely at fault.  If the ink blot is strong and dark then likely the problem is in the printer and service will be required.

After doing the above try printing a diagnostic page as shown in this document.  Is there any trace at all of printing on the page?  If there is then additional cleaning cycles may resolve the issue.  If there is a strong blot of ink on the tissue from the test above but no trace of printing there is likely an issue with the printer electronics.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Thank you for the solution. The blotting worked. I received a heavy ink blot on the color cartridge annd no ink on the black catridge. The printer never said "ink cartridge empty" but replacing the black ink cartridge fixed the problem. Thanks again.

HP Recommended

worked a treat for me too.  thank you so much

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.