Photosmart Premium C309a not printing black (2074 Views)
Top Student
firecapt3
Message 1 of 13 (2,074 Views)

Photosmart Premium C309a not printing black

The printer was working fine until I replaced the black ink cartridge (564XL). The first few pages had blank smear lines down the middle. The next time I went to print it would not print black and all other colors are dull. Went to solutions and did everything they ask to do  nothing works. If anyone has a solution I could use it. 

Distinguished Professor
Ciara_B
Message 2 of 13 (2,065 Views)

Re: Photosmart Premium C309a not printing black

Hi

Is the vent area clear? If so, then I would suggest contacting HP phone support as you may be entitled to a replacement cartridge under warranty.

Please let me know how you get on

Thanks, Ciara

Figure 11: Close-up photo of a clean cartridge vent
Photo: Close-up photo of a clean  cartridge vent
Figure 12: Close-up photo of a vent clogged with adhesive
Photo: Close-up photo of a vent clogged with adhesive
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Top Student
firecapt3
Message 3 of 13 (2,056 Views)

Thanks for the info.

Checked the vent, i had another cartridge and tried that, sill not printing.

I have looked and can not find a number to call HP to talk with someone.

Top Student
firecapt3
Message 4 of 13 (2,054 Views)

Update on problem

I went back and ran the install on the new drivers fro windows7. When it came to the test page it started working again, this is the second time I have had to to this. The first time it did this it would not print at all.

Honor Student
jstarwind
Message 5 of 13 (1,961 Views)

The same thing happen to me. Errr...

Honor Student
rsedelmeier
Message 6 of 13 (1,758 Views)

I have had this problem in the past and was able to recover by reloading the driver.  However, I just recently changed the black ink cartridge again and encountered the same problem.  Printer was working fine right before I changed cartridges.  I cleaned the carriage (as recommended in other threads) to no avail.  Also tried alternate new cartridge for black.

Everything is very clean and nothing is plugged so I know that is not the problem.  As I did previously, I deinstalled and then reinstalled the printer. This did not work.  I did it a second time and at the final stage of installation there is a question asking whether you want to print a test photo.  You have the option of skipping that step and printing a standard test page, which I did.  The test page printed beautifully in black text.  However, the printer still will not print a standard page of text, nor will a test page printed from the printer or the Solution Center print either.  I thought I must have been seeing things but I have now repeated this process with the same results.  Test page from install prints but no other black printing beyond that is achievable.

My conclusion is that this is a software bug.  Black ink displays as full on the ink level graphic indication, but for some reason black cartridge print command is failing.

Any thoughts?

Top Student
Ronel747
Message 7 of 13 (1,753 Views)

My B109n-z similar problem - black ink displays as full on the ink level graphic indication, but for some reason does not print black. even though I tried a new cartridge.
Distinguished Professor
Ciara_B
Message 8 of 13 (1,743 Views)

Hi rsedelmeir, weird that the Test Page prints fine but not a standard page. I'll ask around for suggestions from some folks here and get back to you...

Ciara

Distinguished Professor
Ciara_B
Message 9 of 13 (1,741 Views)

Hi rsedelmeier, could you please scan in the test page and post it here?

Thanks

Ciara

Honor Student
rsedelmeier
Message 10 of 13 (1,738 Views)

Test page attached. Note that I can repeat this process of printing this test page from the install process but cannot print a test page either from the printer front panel or from the solution center.  Also calibration fails of course without black ink.

test page0001.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation