Question

Honor Student
Schwabian
Message 1 of 33 (15,065 Views)

Photosmart Premium C310 not printing black

Hi have 1 month old C310 photosmart premium.   Wireless printing for Windows 7 and WIndows XP 64 laptops.   For one month, no issues.   Since last night the black cartridge is not printing properly.   Changed cartridge, cleaned cartridge (from printer dianostics), printer cartridge align does not work (likely because it is not printing black).   The cartridge shows to have ink per printer and HP solutions center.   Have powered down laptop, printers, and restored defaults on printer.   No success.    Any ideas?   Thanks, Craig

Honor Student
rob141
Message 2 of 33 (15,004 Views)

Re: Photosmart Premium C310 not printing black

i have somewhat the same issue this week after upgrade automatic update where black is extremely light. 

I have changed the cartridge and run through all diagnostics and settings. the printer resident output appears fine but anything spooled from any of the computers  (pc, ipad and mac)(wireless / wired and emobile printing) the output on only the black seems affected. 

Product Name HP Photosmart Prem C310 series Product Model Number CN503A Product Serial Number CN09O1230505KM Service ID 21008 Firmware Version TPI2CN1038BR Total Page Count 439 Country/Region USA

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 3 of 33 (14,997 Views)

Schwabian wrote:

Hi have 1 month old C310 photosmart premium.   Wireless printing for Windows 7 and WIndows XP 64 laptops.   For one month, no issues.   Since last night the black cartridge is not printing properly.   Changed cartridge, cleaned cartridge (from printer dianostics), printer cartridge align does not work (likely because it is not printing black).   The cartridge shows to have ink per printer and HP solutions center.   Have powered down laptop, printers, and restored defaults on printer.   No success.    Any ideas?   Thanks, Craig

Hi, have you tried checking that the cartridge is vented properly? You could also try running a printhead clean

If there is a clogged vent, clean it carefully with a pin.
Figure 12: Properly vented
Figure 13: Clogged vent

More details in the link below

Please let me know if this solves the issue
Thanks, Ciara
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Honor Student
multinaturalist
Message 4 of 33 (14,989 Views)

I experienced the same problem immediately after an automatic update was performed (directly downloaded and installed to my printer). I replaced all of the ink cartidges, but the problem seems permanent now.

How do I uninstall this last update and return to the previous installation?

Honor Student
multinaturalist
Message 5 of 33 (14,988 Views)

Addendum: I am also using a Photosmart C310a.

Student
washintonian
Message 6 of 33 (14,939 Views)

I had the same trouble with the black not printing. Try going to setup on the printer and then Preferences , touch Cartridge chip info and set it to Off.  This apparently turns off the ability of the chip in the ink cartridge to collect product usage info, per page 32 in the manual, and the chip may have been confusing my printer.  Hope this works for you.

Honor Student
rob141
Message 7 of 33 (14,926 Views)

not the issue I will try the "dumb down your printer solution at the bottom post" but then again it's not what i paid for. I am glad we test these out before rollout of 200 to the field..... Reliability is an issue

Honor Student
rob141
Message 8 of 33 (14,912 Views)

Hello again

Well tried the dumb down your printer option.... didn't work

went through hard reset help line 1 callback and vaporizing warranty later here is where I am 

there is no black print maybe a ghost shade from the mac / pc / ipad. but wait there is more

diagnostic printout (nozzle test) is perfect for bars and grid color and black, printer info printout shows nothing as do the other prints.

Last hearing it was probably my grayscale setting (there isn't a grayscale setting on the printer only on color managment) and that it couldn't be the upgrade as the last one was in July really makes me wonder if the due dilligence of testing the patch or update is being done. Also makes me wonder why it updated mine in November?

This doesn't sound like a device built for the long haul

Honor Student
Schwabian
Message 9 of 33 (14,844 Views)

Here is what I did to get the black printing again after the software update.   (I'm the original poster above).   A staples technician helped me.   The print head in my case was clogged.   Not sure who the two are connected.

Removed all the print cartridges, there is a black plastic level on the right wide of the cartrdige tray that you can lift up.   On the bottomon the tray you can see the print heads.   Clean them with lint free towel, go in the direction of the lines.   I did it once and it worked.

Hope it solves your problem also.

Overall unhappy with this printer.   It is my second issue.

Craig

Student
djc160
Message 10 of 33 (14,637 Views)

Hello.  I had the same issues.  The test page showed no black printing at all, I ran the head cleaning step, turned chip setting off, cleaned the print head manually, still no black printing.  The vent was not clogged.  The link provided earlier was very helpful ( http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02187415&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc... ), showing what the test page *should* look like - like I said, mine had no black of any kind except for the photo black ink level.

After waiting a while, and trying one more time, it now prints blacks normally again.  I don't know why, but assume that this happened (from link above):

"Solution two: Allow automatic servicing to complete

Many print quality problems with black ink, such as poor black text or issues that occur with a newly installed black cartridge, clear up with the printer's automatic servicing routine. There is nothing you need to do. The print quality should start improving in a few hours."
I don't know how this automatic servicing works, but just cleaning did not seem to do the trick.  In my case, I tried again after an hour or so.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation