Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have only used my Photosmart 8250 printer 3 times.  Now when i try to print I get the error " Ink System Failure - The ink delivery system has failed and can no longer print - Error 0xc18a000a".

What do I need to do to resolve this issue?  Turning off the printer and unplugging the power cord does not work.  Nor does removing the ink cartridges and reinstalling them.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

There is a document with steps to help troubleshoot these types of 0x codes.  This document can be found here.

Hope this helps.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended
I have already seen that document - it does not resolve my problem.
HP Recommended

Most likely this error is indicating a hardware issue that has developed.  If the troubleshooting steps were unable to resolve the issue, then the next step is going to be to service/replace the unit.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended
I have only used the printer 3 times and it already has a hardware issue. There has to be a better solution.

Is the printhead removable on the Photosmart 8250? I do not see a way to remove it.
HP Recommended

How old is this printer?  If you have only printed 3 times, then it makes me think this is a fairly new printer.  Do you know if it is still under warranty?  

* If you are unsure of warranty status, then HP provides a warranty check tool that can be found here.

Looking at the document on changing ink cartridge, found here, I would say that the printhead for this unit is non-removable.

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended
Unfortunately it is not under warranty. The printer has been idle for about a year. I have had it several years.

I am seeing that a lot of people are have ink System Failure problems and have only used their printers a few times.

If is sad to know the only solution is to unplug and plug the power cord back in and/or turn off the printer.
HP Recommended

It is possible that having sat idle for a year that ink dried up in the ink system and clogged the ports.  If the printer cannot get ink through the ink system it will trip an ink system failure code.

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I FIXED THIS ERROR on an 8250 that I got from a thrift store the other day.

Turns out it had the original cartridges in it and only 50 copies (!)

I am confident they kept overriding the cartridge warnings and ran some colors dry.

SOLUTION:  Doing the Run with the two white ribbon cables disconnected under the RHS panel solved the problem

However, it wasn't that simple.

First I had to do this procedure TWICE.  The Original error code was 0xc18a020a.  After doing the Cable Thing once, it turned into the 000a code.  The 2nd Cable Thing clear it.

Now what is interesting is that the Procedure other people have stated in this thread is not accurate. 

When you power it on with the Cables Disconnected (see NOTE at end), you do not get an obvious OK to press and then the power down.  You have to basically "wing it" for this Step.

When you power up with Cables Connected, I found the Expired Cartridge warnings that if you followed the instructions, would basically hang.

THE TRICK, was that you have to OPEN THE LID to proceed with the Power Up.  In fact, it seemed like the Priming Initialization did not occur until the Lid was Opened.

The Magenta head was the head with the flow problem - I suppose the printer detects ink flow through the head and if it is "low" you get the Ink System Failure.  Could you rejuvenate a clogged head by soaking?  I don't know but I think it might be possible.

Another interesting observation is the original 2007 cartridges have a different seal structure at the ink nipple port.  The newer ones seem to have a "bladder valve" while the 2007's have a straight-forward poppet valve.

This is my 4th "02" HP printer.  I really like them.  They are very robust once you have then working properly and they are mechanically very robust.  However the software is the real disappointment - in particular All-In-One units.  Software is not stable and poorly written - can you believe this:  You cannot have two Photosmart printers installed at the same time on a PC.  Another problem is that installation software cannot always deal with the remnants of previously installed HP drivers for other printers.  The driver software is notorious for not cleaning up when uninstalled.  HP has all kinds of special widgits to remove Drivers.  Unfortunately, they are not very effective either - lots of junk is still left all over the place.

Regards,

Tom

NOTE:  Disconnecting cables:

They always refer to "the two white ribbon cables."

On the 8250 there are 3 - two are side by side about mid-board on the top and one at the rear top.  You always go after the "pair."  In this case, the wider is a coarser pitch than the narrower.  If you have skilled hands, you can r&r them without unscrewing the board but it is pretty fine work.

HP Recommended

yes Hello my photosmart 8250 is used  for Digital Photography  and recently   two weeks  decided  can no  longer work  and a o1o1 message appears.    my 02's are good   also a cricket type noise  says no  longer can print.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.