Question

Honor Student
smreyn57
Message 1 of 5 (896 Views)

Please help -- ink system failure, officejet 6500

[ Edited ]

I seriously want to lodge a complaint. My HP Officejet 6500, which is less than 2 years old, was working fine until I recently installed 2 new HP color cartridges, something I've done several times before with no problems. I immediately began having problems when I tried to align the cartridges and print a test page. First, I would get a partially printed page, then one that was crooked, then nothing at all, etc.

Then I began getting messages that there was an ink system failure. I also got a one-time numbered error message -- 0X61011. So I followed all the instructions on the hp diagnostic tool -- removed the cartridges & the printhead and cleaned them, etc. Even updated the driver, uninstalled and re-installed the printer. Same message. So i exchange the genuine HP cartridges for a new set on the off chance I have a defective cartridge. Same message. I call HP help desk, even tho' my printer is out of warranty.  I am willing to pay $20 but am told there is nothing they can do for me but offer me a new printer at a discounted price. Like I'm going to buy another HP printer after this one breaks in less than 2 years???!! I don't think so. The fact that my printer was working fine until I put the 2 new cartridges in leads me to believe the problem could be fixed, but I am stumped. Sorry for being so long winded. If anybody has any other ideas please let me know.

Meanwhile, how DO I contact Meg Whitman?:smileysurprised:

Thanks!

Student
kelloggdental
Message 2 of 5 (808 Views)

Re: Please help -- ink system failure

I doubt that Meg Whitman can reform a seriously dysfunctional board as hp's.  They don't even know what business they are in.  In the mean time, I had the same problem, lately my office jet 6500 E 709n started printing black letters in red. I cleaned the pinhead and black letters appeared for one page, then red.  The printer mostly had been working as far a printing.  I would not work wirelessly, nor scan, but what do you expect.  Now it only prints (this means actual ink on paper) when I use Word Mailings envelops and labels.  It does not print from online sources or PDFs. I have read this forum and learned very little. I have asked various Geek forums and found not solutions. I am going to remove all software, download the installation package and see what happens.  I suspect I will be shopping for a Epson. I have owned ten hp printers and have noticed a marked decline in quality.

kelloggdental

Student
unclewoody
Message 3 of 5 (422 Views)

Re: Please help -- ink system failure, officejet 6500

This morning printer indicated ink system failure.  Just replaced black ind two days ago and was very low on ink in the three colors.  This a.m. the printer indicated ink system failure.  Replaced all colors. Removed black and reinstalled.  no help. Shut down and restarted. no help. Shut down, unplugged power source, watited 15 seconds and restarted.  No Help.. Help!

Distinguished Professor
-JohnB-
Message 4 of 5 (410 Views)

hi there, 

This article should help resolve the error you are getting:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03081973&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

Give the steps a try and let us know if it helps.

Best of Luck!

You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
Student
mccoygm
Message 5 of 5 (381 Views)

I guess my problem now is to find out if it is cost effective to buy the new printhead or just buy a new printer..Maybe not an HP.  This is two of them to go bugfunny.

Thnk you for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation