Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi there,

I understand you're having an issue with the ink cartridges in your HP printer. I'm sorry to hear this has been happening, but will do my best to help.

It's possible that new cartridges would work, but I can understand not wanting to spend the money without knowing if it will work. Before buying new cartridges, I would recommend checking the warranty status on your current cartridges, and if they are in warranty you can call HP Tech Support for your area and inquire about a replacement of the cartridge your having an issue with.

If the cartridge is out of warranty, and you've tried all of the other steps suggested in this thread, you can try a new cartridge, or contact HP and inquire about their trade in and trade up program.

Hope this helps, have a great day!

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

C5250 all in one printer.  This has worked fine for almost 5 years.  My only reluctance in buying a new printer (probably not an HP after reading here) is several new cartridges that I bought.  

Same exact error message as noted in this and other posts. Have replaced both cartridges, hard and soft resets.  I have not reinstalled software, but others have in this forum without success.  Is this an unfixable problem?  If so, I move on.  If it is fixable and there are better solutions at this point, please direct me to a solution.  Like others here, frustrated!  

HP Recommended

HP Photosmart C6380 All in One.  Fairly new black cartridge installed.  Message that black cartridge was missing or damaged.  Took it out and replaced.  Same message.  Followed Sean's previous instructions and unplugged USB and then power cable.  Took colour cartridges out as well and replaced them.   Now it says that all the cartridges are missing or damaged.

HP Recommended
Did not help. I have a C5250 vs the 80. Could that be the difference. I have tried the various recommendations and none worked.
HP Recommended

have tried reset, cleaning cartridges ... cannot get rid of !Print Cartridges refer to printer documentation message .... I do have Cartridge World refills in place but they have always worked ... at a loss!!!

HP Recommended

now where did my post go ............ that was helpful???

HP Recommended

Hello Sean-

I tried your solution and when I plugged it back in, the same error message came back up. I turned the printer off and then on and the error message was gone. I then turned the computer off and then on, and it works like it always has. Thank you!

HP Recommended

I have tried the suggested "fix" several times to no avail.  The entire cartridge mechanism seems to be "stuck" on the left side of the printer.  When I manually slide it to the middle and put in the cartridges I then get a message that there is a Cartridge Problem - that I one of more of the cartridges appear to be missing or damaged.   I'm stuck ...  How does a printer go from working the night before to this - frustrating?!?!?

HP Recommended

Sean, I tried the Solution you provided as well as many of the others offered by other HP Staff and Users but nothing has helped. I am running Windows seven, I ran my setup in compatability mode with windows vista service pack 2 because it would not install with windows seven. I have anC5250 All in one connect to a dell laptop via usb. I have tried using new cartridges to no avail. The software is telling me that the black cartridge specifically is the problem. I have been buying HP brand ink cartridges. The message on the printer's display merely says " ! Print crtridges Refer to printer documentation" I have done so and there is no information regarding this issue except for generic trouble shooting.

HP Recommended

My solution was to buy an Cannon copier/scanner, etc.  Had to throw away a lot of expensive HP ink cartridges 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.