Print cartridge faulty or incompatible (7998 Views)
Student
labrosm6375
Message 1 of 34 (7,998 Views)
Accepted Solution

Print cartridge faulty or incompatible

I have recently baught an official black ink cartridge for my Photosmart C3180.

After about 20 prints it gave me an error message saying that my print cartridge is either faulty or incompatible.

I tried resetting, cleaning the metal contacts on the cartridge and on the printer but nothing happens. I still get the error.

What should I do?

(I cannot return the ink cartridge if its faulty because I bought almost two months ago but opened it recently and I don't think that they will accept it)

Provost
pcwizard
Message 2 of 34 (7,992 Views)

Re: Print cartridge faulty or incompatible

Hi labrosm6375,

Our printer cartridges have there own warranty dates. What you need to do is call us at 800-474-6836, and a support agent can verify the warranty on the cartridge. If the cartridge is an HP and not a refurbished, and it is found to be faulty then we can replace the cartridge under warranty.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Top Student
rcbrown
Message 3 of 34 (7,870 Views)

I have a HP Deskjet 5700 Series printer.  I have regularly used refilled cartridges from OfficeMax and other sources with no problem, along with HP cartridges at other times.  Recently, however, with a 'foreign' black cartridge installed, I have gotten the message "Incorrect Print Cartridge / There is a problem with the Right Print Cartridge / At least one of the print cartridges currently installed is not intended for use in this printer."  

And now the printer REFUSES TO PRINT.  This happened for the first time a week or so ago (after using the printer with no such problem for years).  I did a lot of fiddling to no avail, then the problem went away for some reason.  But it is back again today and I am suddenly unable to print anything, despite having successfully printed other documents earlier in the day.

Yes, the printer is out of warranty.  But it is MY printer.  As such, I should be able to use whatever print cartridges I want to, rather than being forced to only use the HP brand.  And if an off-brand cartridge causes an operational problem, then that's my problem - but this has not ever happened.  

1.  How do I get around this blockage of my print capability, without having to go out and purchase a HP cartridge? 

2.  What has HP done to my printer software recently to create this problem for me, without my knowledge or permission?

Your reply to my email address rather than via this medium will be most appreciated - rcnlbrown@juno.com.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

R. C. Brown

Honor Student
Damayanthi
Message 4 of 34 (7,759 Views)

Hi There, 

My printer is hp psc1315 all in one. Two weeks ago I bought a ne hp black cartridge from **bleep** Smith. It was working ok, now I am getting a error message "printer cartridge not installed or not compatible" !!!! 

Try to off - on the printer many times, took the cartridge out & put it back, then replaced with the old one I had before but I still get that message. Even with the old cartridge.

Appreciate if someone can help. (I am nearly out of ink for my colour cartridge as well!!) 

Honor Student
Youler
Message 5 of 34 (7,507 Views)

I called the number from my moblie and be told it is incorect. I have the same problem and it is drive me crazy, trying to get help online but it does not accept my product number for some reason.  My cartridge is still in warranty date and it is the organail one. Please HELP!

Provost
pcwizard
Message 6 of 34 (7,504 Views)

Hi All,

Go to the following link http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl, and then chose the region you are in. Click on Contact HP/Customer Suport. This will then take you to a page were you can locate the support phone number for your region.

1.JPG

I am an HP employee.

Honor Student
Youler
Message 7 of 34 (7,501 Views)

Can you please tell me how to fix this? I have documents urgently need to print out, and this printer now make me feel very unrealible. It worked fine with the ink cartidges for a while, and suddenly I just get this message from no where. I cleaned the eletrictic contacts, also the one in the printer twice, did not help. I also tried reset it, did not help. I am using Macbook, but it worked fine in the past. Now I simply cannot find any solution, and I still have half of the ink left in each one of them. Please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Provost
pcwizard
Message 8 of 34 (7,499 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Youler,

Since the cartridges are still in warranty you will need to follow the steps in my previous post to find the support number for your region. When you speak to a technician on the phone they will assist you with determining if the cartridges are defective. If so, then they can send you another set of cartridges as long as they are new original HP cartridges, and have not been modified in anyway. The only other option you have it to purchase another set of ink to verify if the cartridges are the issue or the printer is having the issue.

I am an HP employee.

Top Student
rcbrown
Message 9 of 34 (7,442 Views)

Call me cynical and suspicious, but I have the distinct impression that HP somehow recently downloaded something into their printer software - without users knowledge or permission - so that 'foreign,' i.e. other brands of ink cartridges such as Office Max, etc., are recognized and not allowed to function, accompanied by the message regarding "Ink cartridge faulty or incompatible" - the key word being INCOMPATIBLE.  After all, it's well-known that the real $$$ is in the cartridges that have to be replaced frequently or from time-to-time depending on volume of printing, not in the printer device itself. 

Honor Student
Damayanthi
Message 10 of 34 (7,426 Views)

I have to agree with you rcbrown. I was thinking along the same lines.

It is so frustating when you are self employed, doing things online & the printer stopped working, giving a lame reason about the printer cartridge!!  :smileysad: Added to that frustration our son in high school need the printer for his assignment.

It is so many times you can ask your friends or go to the library. 

I tried for few weeks to get an answer... now I soved my problem. I GOT A NEW PRINETR and it is not HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation