Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Our HP Officejet J4680 seems to go through printer cartridges quickly.  Today the exclamation point next to the display screen is flashing yellow and the screen is displaying the message --print cartridge problem- (tricolor)  Any suggestions ??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi craigeaton,

Are you replacing the cartridges as soon as the levels get low? Your type of printer can continue to print with until there is so little ink that the printout will fade away to nothing. So, as long as the printout is OK, you don't really have to replace cartridges for low ink. Using draft mode when possible also helps.

Obviously, there is some problem with the tricolor cartridge. You can use the steps listed in the link below to try to get it to work again.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01818839

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi craigeaton,

Are you replacing the cartridges as soon as the levels get low? Your type of printer can continue to print with until there is so little ink that the printout will fade away to nothing. So, as long as the printout is OK, you don't really have to replace cartridges for low ink. Using draft mode when possible also helps.

Obviously, there is some problem with the tricolor cartridge. You can use the steps listed in the link below to try to get it to work again.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01818839

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
HP Recommended

Thanks Mary.  I ended up replacing the cartridge and now can use the printer.  This time I've marked the date of install to see how long it lasts

HP Recommended

Glad that it works now!

There's some information about ink usage on the webpage below and it also links to sites where you can get more specific information on page yields:

http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/en-019/articles/howInkIsUsed.html?cCode=us

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
HP Recommended

I too have a problem with a new cartridge I have installed in my Printer. I get a blinking red/green light and a message - "Remove and check colour cartridge". I still get this when I have removed the cartridge and checked it, have cleaned it as described by the HP process, have aligned it several times to make sure. But, when I print a coloured page from my computer, it prints O.K.!! Anyone with ideas how to get rid of the message and blinking lights?

HP Recommended

Hi Tomale01,

Have you tried to turn the printer off, wait a bit and then turn it back on?

If you have and that doesn't work, you could try a power reset:

A power reset drains the power from the product and returns to the same settings after restarting. A power reset is a common troubleshooting step, and you can perform one for conditions like print jobs getting stuck in the queue.

1. Press the Power button to turn on the product.
  2. With the product turned on , disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
  3. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  4. Wait at least 15 seconds.
  5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
  7. If the product does not turn on by itself, press the Power button to turn it on.
Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
HP Recommended

Mary, thanks for your response. Carried out your instructions as written, but the message and flashing light returned as soon as I switched the Printer on again. I have actually tried this procedure before, but it was worth doing again. Any more ideas gratefully received.

Tomale01

HP Recommended

Your printer is an older one, so it is probably the printer that is at fault, however, there is a slight possibility that cleaning the contacts could help. There is a document that shows how to clean the contacts linked below:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bpa00299

I kind of doubt that anything will clear the error, but it is worth a try. Otherwise, you'll probably have to cope with the situation, or have the printer sent in for servicing.

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
HP Recommended

Thanks Mary, appreciate your response. I have cleaned both the new cartridge and the Printer contacts as described in the HP Web Site, but it did not correct the problem. My last attempt to solve this is to replace the new cartridge with another new one, which I am about to buy. If this does not work then, as you say, I will just have to live with the problem and put up with the message being displayed all the time and the power light blinking red and green - by the way, when I print anything the light stays green! I have printed out the test sheets that the Printer allows you to select, and these show no problems with the colours - no running or fading and all the colours are displyed on the print out. I have also aligned the cartridges several times with no change.

Regards

Tomale01

HP Recommended

Success at last!! Replaced the cartridge with another new one and the error message and the flashing Red/Green light has gone. Hence, the cartridge must be faulty even though it prints OK?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.