Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I was printing fine, then all of a sudden, the option to choose black and white is missing.  It only prints in color.  I just bought a Officejet 4620.  How did it revert to this setting?  How do I reset so that I can choose "Properties" and see the option to print color or black and white?  It disappeared?

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended
Hey blanketbb,

You maybe able to reset the printer by removing power from the product for a minute or two then reconnecting the power cord and turning it back on.

What operating system are you using on the PC connected to it?
Help the community by marking this post as a solution if it solved your issue!.

If my post helped you in any way, please click the blue KUDOS star under my name! It would mean a great deal. 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi Daniel,

Windows 7.  I am connected to the computer by network vs. a USB cord.

I tried turning it off, then unplugging for 2 minutes and turning it on.

I tried printing.  From the print pop up window, I choose the Printer:  HP Officejet 4620 series (Network).

I click Properties to choose color or black & white option, but the only tab I see is a Layout option.  Wondering what happened to the other option where I can choose the color?  So used to seeing that option with everything I print that I don't even know what that tab is.

So, after trying the suggestion, turning on and off, I still don't see that option.  Only Layout.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

HP Recommended

Now I just tried printing again and selected Properties and instead of just seeing the Layout tab, I see a Paper Quality tab where I choose the tray selection and quality settings, but no color.

Just wondering why it shows up differently on various occassions?  Shouldn't the same tabs appear each time I select Properties?  Wonder if this could be due to being connected by Network vs. a USB cable?

HP Recommended
Are you seeing the same options in different applications? Printing from web, pictures, documents, etc?

If my post helped you in any way, please click the blue KUDOS star under my name! It would mean a great deal. 🙂

HP Recommended

I just tried printing this forum screen from the web, and when I click Properties, I see only one tab:  Layout.

From a MS Word doc, I see two tabs when I click Properties:  Layout, Paper Quality.

From an Excel doc, I see the same as the Word doc.

From a JPeg using Windows Live Gallery, I see a wholly different interface with dropdown options for Printer, Paper Size, Quality, Layout...etc.

I just went back and tried printing this forum screen and instead of just seeing the Layout tab, I now see 2 tabs:  Layout and Paper Quality.

So it seems that the 1st time I try to print something from turning on the PC, I get the one tab option, but as I engage the printer button, then 2 tabs show up.

Thanks for you time.

HP Recommended
That's really strange to say the least!

At this point I'd recommend uninstalling the printer software. You can find a guide on how to completely uninstall the software here:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02440673

Once that has been done I'd recommend downloading the driver package here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5191646&

If it is still not working beyond these steps please post back asap!

HP Recommended

Hello,

I uninstalled from the HP unistall option.

When that was done, I restarted.  I then went into Control Panel and searched for other HP programs.  I uninstalled the 3 programs found.  I then restarted.

I went to the link and downloaded the software, driver and update.  I restarted.

I tried printing and selected Properties from the print dialog box.  I still only get 2 tabs:  Layout and Paper Quality.

I tried printing a simple Word Doc with colored font.  It printed it in grayscale.  I cannot choose to print in color because there is no tab to select for color.

Is there an HP phone number I can call?  Thanks for your time.

HP Recommended

Does anyone have a Officejet 4620 and can tell me what tabs you see when you have the print dialog box?  Please click Properties and pls. tell me what tabs you see?

I only see 2 tabs:  Layout and Paper/Quality.

What do you see?

HP Recommended
At this point it sounds like there is an issue with the PC, especially with the erratic behaviour and the different options allowed at different times.

Here is the contact page for HP North America if you'd like to call:
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.