Question

Honor Student
marcusbmg
Message 1 of 4 (462 Views)

Printer cartridge rejected by printer as too old?

Hi

I am using a HP PSC 1215 all in one.

I took out the HP57 colour cartridge to check its weight. It was working normally but had been flagged as low on ink. I like to get a feel from its weight as to how empty it is.

I replaced the caartridge and the PSC gave an error. On my screen flaagged up "replace color cartridge". I tried cleaning the contacts etc but the cart would no l onger work, for no apparent reason.

I have read some pieces on the web that carts can be rejected because of date. Is that the case here? The date on the cart is 07/22/09  (I understand this is the warranty date). I have another unused (boxed) HP56 with use by date jun 2008 can I expect that this should in principle  (OK its old and things can deteriorate/dry out) work?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 4 (456 Views)

Re: Printer cartridge rejected by printer as too old?

The printers with integrated printheads (as used on the 56/57 cartridges) do not have any ink expiration.  That said, old cartridges can have shelf life issues, especially if they have been subjected to temperature extremes.  I would suggest trying again to clean the cartridge contacts, perhaps more agressively with a plastic eraser.

The 56 black cartridge may be less prone to age related failures.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
marcusbmg
Message 3 of 4 (447 Views)

Thanks for that.

Do you think the reason that the printer "rejected" the cart is because its internal memory recorded the cart as used up. I note that on ink refill sites there are methods described to trick the int memory because otherwise same thing will happen. This cart wasn't refilled, just low.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 4 (433 Views)

The printers that use 56/57 cartridges do not reject cartridges because they are low on ink (or even empty).  The HP printers that have separate ink supplies and printheads may reject empty ink supplies to protect the printhead, but this is not the case for printers that use cartridges with the printhead attached.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation