Honor Student
MacDon59
Message 1 of 11 (2,572 Views)
Accepted Solution

Printer only prints in black and blue

Product:  HP Photosmart C3180 All-in-One

no error messages

no changes beforehand

My C3180 All in One decided to only print in black and blue a few months ago.  First I thought it a bad cartridge, but it took a long time to use up.  Next color cartridge-same thing.  Next cartridge (a new HP) same thing.  No cleaning, uninstall/reinstall or any other trick has coerced it to print in anything other than black and blue.  Printer has been great for three years 'till now.

Next step... skeet shooting?

Thanks,  Don

Grad Student
MaryChris
Message 2 of 11 (2,561 Views)

Re: Printer only prints in black and blue

[ Edited ]

Don't shoot! :smileysurprised:

You have this group in the US baffled. A bad cartridge could cause such problems, but 3 times? Unless you have a suspicious supplier, something weird is going on.

We are going to see if a colleague in Ireland might be able to shed some light on this, but he won't see our message for a few hours.

We will try to get you more information later.

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
Grad Student
MaryChris
Message 3 of 11 (2,548 Views)

It was decided that we need more information from you. First of all, when you talked about cleaning, reinstalling, etc. you've done everything advised in these instructions?
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00308379&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&la...

Next, if you could try printing a self-test report and tell us if there are any other colors printed (than the black and the cyan blocks)?
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00655196&tmp_task=useCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lang...

If what you call blue is a true blue (not the cyan color) then some of the magenta and yellow are being used to make that type of blue color. If you have a true blue, then perhaps the print settings need adjustment.
Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
Honor Student
MacDon59
Message 4 of 11 (2,541 Views)

Yes, I had done all that cleaning, but just for fun I've done it all again.  Same results: black and blue (okay, so it's cyan, not blue).  Test page has lots of perfectly placed little cyan and black blocks, stripes and birds.  No magenta or yellow (what --no fancy name for yellow?)  Interestingly enough, when cleaning the printer cartidge contacts I also wiped down the nozzle area and got a nice pair of stripes: magenta and green-- very Christmassy! (Cyan and yellow together equals green, right?)  All three present and accounted for.  Just not in printing.

Honor Student
MacDon59
Message 5 of 11 (2,516 Views)

[ Edited ]

Okay, here goes an attempt.

I have finally gotten the diagnostic reports to print.  (Had to unplug & repower to get cooperation.)

I have scanned both and now I have to figure out how to attach to this response...hp diaghp diagnostic #1

Grad Student
MaryChris
Message 6 of 11 (2,513 Views)

I think you have to use the email sent to you for the attachments. They didn't come through correctly on the forum post.

Sorry for all the trouble!

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
Student
antisubae
Message 7 of 11 (2,485 Views)

Add a U.S. case to the list, because I'm having the exact same problem. :-)

I've had this C3180 for almost 5 years and have never experienced a single issue with it, until roughly two hours ago when I discovered this strange blue/cyan only behavior. It's only been about 2 weeks since I've done any color printing (I have an inexpensive laser that I do my B&W printing on) and I've let the inkjet sit unused for far, far longer periods of time without any trouble with ink drying up or anything of the sort.

I put in my spare set of HP cartridges, no change in print quality. I also tried some 3rd-party remanufactured cartridges I was just given for Christmas, also no change. There is a *slight* hint of magenta on some prints, no trace of yellow anywhere. I've also gone through the cleaning/priming cycle a couple of times and have physically cleaned the printer and cartridge contacts. Google led me to this thread, so here I am!

It's not the end of the world if I have to replace this unit - 5 years is a pretty good lifespan for a printer that's seen a lot of hard use in that time - but if it's something repairable, that'd be better than spending more money LOL :-)

Grad Student
MaryChris
Message 8 of 11 (2,439 Views)

Hi Antisubae (and McDon59),

You haven't been forgotten, but we have yet to hear back from the techs. I suspect your problem has them baffled.

The only theories that I've heard so far seem to indicate that some part in the printer has worn out, or has been damaged. If that is the case, sending the printer in for service would be advised.

Will reply again once we have any more news.

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
Honor Student
MacDon59
Message 9 of 11 (2,417 Views)

Apparently. the fourth time can be the charm...

Was running out of black two days ago, and changed the cartridge.  Noticed that the color was not the HP unit as I had thought.  Was finally fading out all the (blue) ink, so it was time to "waste" the HP color cartridge.  VOILA!!

All the pretty colors...  But, no kidding, one of those three bad cartridges (I've disciplined them severely) was an HP unit.

No-- I did not use the shotgun on them.  But, you know, it's an intereesting idea-- using one cartridge to discipline a bad one...

I was really convinced that there were some wiring issues in the electronics-- oh well.  Maybe it's a psychosomatic

diagnosis.

Thanks for all your concern and attention.  I'll just go back to printing pretty papers now.

MacDon

Grad Student
MaryChris
Message 10 of 11 (2,412 Views)

Hi MacDon,

YAY! So glad it worked out. Maybe you could mark this as solved?

You could have gotten a replacement for the genuine HP cartridge if it was under warranty:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c00206040 

Be sure to make use of that, if you have any more bad ones (no need for further discipline). :smileywink:

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation