Question

Honor Student
onnohennis
Message 1 of 11 (2,666 Views)

Printer problems with Officejet Pro 8500 A910

Dear all,

I have been given as a present an Officejet Pro 8500 A910 (serie number CN16LDM020 and product number CM756A). The people whom I have got it from already had some problems with the printer heads. I have accepted the printer, because I want to have it working again. I do encounter some problems however. I hope you kind people on the forum can help me out and get this thing working again. As a side note: I am only interested in using the scanner, printer (only black and white - I do not print in colour) and e-printing (I understand that it is possible to email documents to printer, so that they are printed whilst you are somewhere else). 

Upon installation I have conneted the internet to my wi-fi. Upon installation it made some test prints, whereby the black dots were good, but the cyan and other colours were not. When I now turn off the installed printer and switch it on again it takes the printer about 5 - 7 minutes to initialize. On the touch screen of the printer it is said "Checking printer, this might take 5 minutes", "Checking printheads", "Aligning printheads" and alike notifications. After 5 - 7 minutes the printer gives the following notification: " Failure notice. Alignment failed. Refer to device documentation for details." When I then push the question mark on the touch screen the following notidication is given: " Alignment failed. Check printer quality of the current print job. If it is not satisfactory, try aligning the printer to see if that improves the quality. To align the printhead again, touch (home), touch (arrow right), touch Tools, and then touch Align Printhead." When I follow these instructions, the same thing happens. I have tried the option "Clean printheads" under "Tools". The test prints that come out are again good in black and white and not good in colour. 

The ink level of the cartridges is very low for Yellow, Magenta and Cyan. For Black the printer gives a question mark. The expiry date of the cartridges is in 2015. The information on the Self Test Diagnostic Page (you get when you print a report from checking the ink cartridges) gives the following status:

Printhead status

Printhead health: Good (for both Black/Yellow and Magenta/Cyan)

Serial: 7735960 (Black/Yellow) and 7744345 (Magenta/Cyan)

End of warranty: mid-2013

Accumulated ink usage (ml): Black 99/Yellow 71, Magenta 57/Cyan 58

Refilled supply:

Detected in printhead/printer? For all cartidges "yes".

When I try to print a document from Word on my MacBook (which runs on Mac OS X 10.6.8) and the printer is on stand-by, Word recognizes the printer, starts with the print order but then comes with the notifications "Printer offline" and "Cannot find printer" and postpones the print order. Today I reset the printer and the print job that I had before the reset (which was postponed) came out. 

Today, I printed a document whilst the printer was not on stand-by (the touch screen was on home menu) and the print was well (it was only black and white). After the print, the printer also made a print report. Again, the colour was bad, but black ink was good. After that print report, the printer started aligning again. After 5 minutes it gave the above-mentioned failure notice (" Failure notice. Alignment failed. Refer to device documentation for details."). 

I would assume that the first thing that I should do is get new cartridges. However, since I only print black and white, can't I just buy the Black Ink and disable the other cartridges? Then, I am thinking of not buying HP cartridges (since the warranty term is already over). What cartridges do you reccomend (price-quality)? If  new cartridges are installed (previous owner had same problems with full cartridges) and the problems (with print heads) are not solved, what should I do? 

On a second note, I want to use the option of printing online. In other words, give a print order on my Iphone to the printer so that it starts printing at home. How do I set this up? How can I test this?

I would be very obliged with your feedback on the above. 

Kind regards,

Onno

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 2 of 11 (2,636 Views)

Re: Printer problems with Officejet Pro 8500 A910

Hey Onno,

I see you have several items listed about your Officejet Pro 8500a (A910 series) printer.  The main issue that stands out is the print quality issue.  I would advise starting here with your printer.  

From your information I can see that refill or remanufacture cartridges have been used in this printer at some point.  It is possible that the ink from these cartridges have damaged the internal ink system of the printer.  If you have performed all the troubleshooting steps for the print quality issue you are experiencing, then the next step is going to be replacing the printheads of the unit.

Troubleshooting Print Quality Issues

The 8500a requires all cartridges be available even if you are simply printing in B&W.  If the cartridges are low, then you will have to replace the cartridges as needed.  Typically by the design of this printer, however, print quality issues do not follow ink levels in the cartridges as ink is piped to the internal printheads, thus even with empty cartridges there is some ink remaining in the system.

The printheads for the 8500a can be found at most HP certified retailers if you decide to attempt replacing them as a step towards resolving the issue.  As to the cartridges, I would advise using genuine HP cartridges as HP ink is designed with HP printers in mind.  For information about refilled/remanufactured cartridges please click here.

Hope this helps in getting the print quality issue alleviated,

Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 3 of 11 (2,632 Views)

You have presented a lot of questions here.  I will gladly walk you through each and every step but it will not do any good until you address the alignment failed error message.  Yes you will HAVE to get all new color ink cartridges for this printer.  If the ink is less the 25% you will get this error, thus every printhead cleaning is simply wasting more ink.  Every print quality report is going to get worse and there is no way to by-pass color printing because with these ink cartridges, it actually uses the color to help make the black clearer and more defined.

This documentation will define each and every part for this printer that is still replaceable even when it is out of warranty.

--HP Officejet Pro 8500A e-All-in-One Printer A910 Series - User-Replaceable Parts and Supplies -- 

I have no recommendation of ink.  Just remember the ink cartridges (HP 940) will last longer and are economically saving more money if you choose the extra large cartridges.  The printheads are separate and stored in the bottom of the printer.  Take special care with these as they do get expensive to replace.

If you use the Wireless Setup Wizard on the printer to get it on the same network as your iPhone, you can print using the phones internal Airprint feature.  If you choose to setup ePrint, I advise working out the problems you are having with getting the color to print because some information on the ePrint page is in color and may be useful for the setup. Again, allow me to help you get the printer functioning before worrying too much about ePrint (sending the printer an email) when you currently have Airprint options.  

Do you own a wireless router?  That will help you.  I will also work with you on the Mac but you will want to get a successful alignment first (troubleshooting flow - start with the printer and then the computer and then the network).  

I hope this helps!

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Honor Student
onnohennis
Message 4 of 11 (2,618 Views)

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your useful reply. I have searched the net and the printheads are not cheap. Are there any affordable alternatives? Cleaning them myself? I also saw some B&W printheads available in online shops. I guess it is not an option to replace the two Magenta/Cyan, etc printheads for one B&W printhead? 

Am I assured that when I replace the printheads and buy new cartridges that the printer will work again? It is quite an investement I want to avoid having spent a lot of money resulting in the problem not being solved. 

Cheers for your effort.

Kind regards,

Onno

Honor Student
onnohennis
Message 5 of 11 (2,616 Views)

Thank you for reply. I will follow your advice and first address the printing problems and then do the e-printing. 

Your colleague Jason has advised to replace the printheads. Is this something you would reccomend as well? 

Student
twosailman
Message 6 of 11 (2,610 Views)

Cyan just stopped printing. Have run diagnostics, replaced cartrige, cleaned print heads, everything reads healthy in Printer maintenance toolbox. 

Should I service, buy new printhead, what?

Thank you in advance for any support

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 7 of 11 (2,600 Views)

@Onno and twosailman,

Both of your cases appear to be in a similar state.  The printer is not producing colors correctly and the troubleshooting has not resolved the problem.

The next step in the troubleshooting line would be to replace the printheads.  As Onno state, these are somewhat expensive and are not guaranteed to fix the problem at hand.  One has a choice at this point if the printer is out of warranty.  One can purchase the printheads in an attempt to resolve the current printer's problem or one can purchase a different printer.  

Keep in mind that one can always contact HP Tech Support to see what options are available within the Upgrade Program.

Contact HP Worldwide | HP

Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Honor Student
onnohennis
Message 8 of 11 (2,557 Views)

Hi jason, i cannot seem to find information about the Upgrade Program (on the Dutch website of HP). What is it all about?

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 9 of 11 (2,552 Views)

Hey Onno,

The Upgrade Program is where one can purchase a newer model reconditioned HP printer, with a full factory warranty, at a discounted price compared to retail.  However, this is not available from HP in all regions.  I would advise making a quick phone call to the HP Tech Support number for your region to see if this option is available for you.

Best of luck,

Jason

I am not an HP employee.
Student
sanman1520
Message 10 of 11 (1,121 Views)

installed new print cartridges prints test page great - but does not prints only red from Word

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation