Question

Honor Student
annehatl
Message 1 of 15 (15,602 Views)

Printer will not recognize new cartridge

I have a HP LaserJet P1606dn printer.  I installed a new cartridge, but the printer will not recognize it.  I have been on the phone with tech support and done all the troubleshooting they can do on the phone.  I don't know what to do.  The toner cartridge is a HP 78A.  I have Windows 7 installed on a Dell desktop.   I made no changes to the system prior to doing this cartridge change.

Help!!

Provost
pcwizard
Message 2 of 15 (15,596 Views)

Re: Printer will not recognize new cartridge

Hi annehati,

What message are you getting?

Please make sure you have removed the orange plastic protector over the cartridge chip. This will cause it to give you a supply error message.

Illustration: Remove the orange clip from the print cartridge.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02271270&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&la...

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Honor Student
annehatl
Message 3 of 15 (15,561 Views)

Hello,

I followed the instructions.  It did not solve my problem.  I am getting the "Install Black Ink Cartridge" notification.  There was no packing material on the cartridge, after I removed the tab and pulled the tape out.  I see nothing else on it now. 

Sorry to be difficult.

Say--can you tell me if there is only a 6 month warranty on this printer?  My warranty is showing "expired".  It shows a start date of 4/11/11.  I can't find the warranty info on the website.

Thanks,

Anne

Provost
pcwizard
Message 4 of 15 (15,558 Views)

Hi annehatl,

Cartridges have there own warranty dates on the cartridges, if you just purchased the toner cartridge and it fails to detect it is installed you will need to call our technical support at 800-474-6836. They will determine if the cartridge is in warranty, and as long as it is a original HP cartridge and as long as the cartridge is found to be defective then they can get a replacement setup for you.

I am an HP employee.

Top Student
JasonY
Message 5 of 15 (15,147 Views)

I work for a school board that has purchased several 1606dn printers.  Two have now come back (warranty expired) that do not recognize a new toner cartridge.  The cartridges are HP and have been confirmed to work on other 1606's that we have which tells me that it's the printer itself that is having a problem not the cartridges.

I've ensured that the contacts are clean, all tabs have been removed etc (tested ok in another 1606dn printer) as per HP instructions.  The problem continues to exist after following troubleshooting instructions.

If there is no solution we will have to discontinue purchasing these printers.

Jason

Provost
pcwizard
Message 6 of 15 (15,144 Views)

Hi JasonY,

Sounds like you have isolated this to the cartridge sensor in the printer. Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836 for this hardware issue. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

Additional out of warranty support options:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02652026&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us

I am an HP employee.

Top Student
JasonY
Message 7 of 15 (15,141 Views)

What will they do for me if the printer is no longer under warranty?

Provost
pcwizard
Message 8 of 15 (15,134 Views)

Hi JasonY,

The link below will give you all your options for out of warranty printers.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02652026

I am an HP employee.

Top Student
JasonY
Message 9 of 15 (15,125 Views)

I shouldn't have to pay to call HP for what is a known problem with these printers.   Through Google there are many people that have the same problem with this printer but the only solution seems to be buying a new printer which doesn't make sense if a small part can be replaced or repaired especially since it's not a moving part.  Talk about e-waste.  

If there is a fix for this issue HP should post it and give a rough estimate of how much it would be to fix it or allow me to purchase the replacement part so I can fix it myself.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 10 of 15 (15,122 Views)

Hi JasaonY,

You will need to call customer support to see what customer replacable parts are available for this printer. You can also have an authorized HP service center in your area take a look at the printer to see what it will take to get it repaired.

I am an HP employee.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation