Question

Tutor
Macmann1
Message 1 of 6 (341 Views)
Accepted Solution

Printer won't print black

[ Edited ]

I was recently gifted an HP2050a AIO. Having installed a new pair of cartridges, and run print head clean and alignment tests, suddenly it won't print black. The printer utility also recognises that both cartridges the fact that both cartridges are 'previously used' but surely, that shouldn't affect the final print quality.

Printer details:

Ser nbr:[Personal Information Removed]

Product nbr: CQ199B

Distinguished Professor
Shirlzz1
Message 2 of 6 (296 Views)

Re: Printer won't print black

I understand that you are having an issue with the printer's quality of output. I would look at this link here. It addresses print quality issues in your model of printer and will offer you troubleshooting steps to take in an attempt to fix the print quality issue. It will take you back through some steps that you have already attempted, but it will also show  you other steps to take such as cleaning the cartridges manually. I hope that this helps. 

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
Tutor
Macmann1
Message 3 of 6 (279 Views)

Hi Shirlzz, Unfortunately, none of the advice given in the link seemed to do any good. Thus far, I have used more than a dozen sheets of paper running print tests etc all to no avail, and yet, the screen shot shows that both cartridges are adequately full. Oddly enough, given that the black cartridge shows part used, it still won't print (it's worth noting that both cartridges are 're-manufactured' and the system has discovered this).

Here's the screen shot showing ink levels:Screen shot

as you can see, colour colour cartridge is full (yesterday it was showing the same level as the black cartridge.) The suppliers have advised me that they will be happy to exchange the black cartridge. I would rather not go to the expense of purchasing HP originals unless it becomes absolutely necessary.

Many thanks for your advice, but all I can do is to click your Kudos to acknowledge that you offered assistance.

Distinguished Professor
Shirlzz1
Message 4 of 6 (267 Views)

Thank you for the response. One can try doing a hard reset the printer to clear error message and restore a printer to a known working condition.  No user settings are lost with a hard reset. Here is a link to a document that will walk you through the process. If after you get the new cartridges from the retailer you find that you are still getting the error message; I would get a set of HP non refilled inks as the cartridges could be faulty. 

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
Tutor
Macmann1
Message 5 of 6 (253 Views)

Hi Shirlzz, I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks for the link. If I do have to get a replacement, and it doesn't work, then yes, I'll go for HP originals.
Tutor
Macmann1
Message 6 of 6 (178 Views)

Printer long since disposed of after resolving the situation.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation