Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 10 (182 Views)

Print heads were not installed for 6 months...printer will now not print...how to solve?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 10 (173 Views)

Re: Printer

Please read this post then provide some details.  What printer model? What operating system?

If this is a model with separate printheads and ink supplies it is likely the "plumbing" has been clogged with dried ink.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
Message 3 of 10 (123 Views)

HP photosmart 5510. Vista. I feel that the black ink printhead is clogged
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 10 (120 Views)

[ Edited ]

The printheads in the Photosmart 5510 are not removable.  Do you mean the printer had the ink cartrdiges removed for six months?  If this is the case the printheads will almost certainly be damaged and will likely require service.

Is your printer still in warranty? You can check with HP's warranty tool here.  What country are you located in?

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

Top Student
Message 5 of 10 (114 Views)

The color cartridges were removed...they now work. The black cartridge was noi removed.
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 6 of 10 (109 Views)

The printhead would not properly cap the printhead if all the cartridges were not installed.  The black is more likely to clog since the black is pigmented ink, while the color ink is dye based.

Running two cleaning cycles and then letting the printer sit for a few days, then running a few more cleaning cycles may recover the printhead.  See the document here for troubleshooting information.

Top Student
Message 7 of 10 (98 Views)

Did two cleans on Sun and two today (Tues) ....no success. Any other hints?
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 8 of 10 (95 Views)

Is your printer still in warranty? You can check with HP's warranty tool here.  What country are you located in?

Top Student
Message 9 of 10 (90 Views)

Out of warranty....U.S.
HP Support Agent
HevnLgh
Message 10 of 10 (78 Views)

Hi 1876,

Thank you for the requested information. I have sent you a Private message on the Forums, please go to your Userpage to the right of your Username you will see your inbox.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HevnlghHelP
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation