Question

Top Student
rastereyes
Message 1 of 8 (747 Views)

Printhead Failure? cp1700ps

OK, this is a weird one. I've had GREAT luck with the cp1700ps despite low use

and only three sets of ink cartridges ( ! ), nine years and still going.

Until now.

First, my system:

Mac G4 PPC Quicksilver

Mac OS 9.2 / OS X 10.4.11 Tiger

60G disk / 1G ram ( Down to like, 2G, LoL )

Design software:

Quark 5

Freehand 10

Photoshop 7

and a buncha other junk that prolly shouldn't be on there ...

Printer specifics: Recently replaced all inks with old but OEM unopened ink.

PROBABLY SHOULD'VE shaken them before installing, I forgot. To save on ink,

we've been printing in B+W and grayscale for about three years now. Original printheads.

It's like this: I try to print out of Postscript in OS 9, and I get doo-doo. I print out of OS X,

I get some good results, though not stellar.

When it works, the cyan is weak but registers. Cleaned lines via the printer utility several

times but the colors only get so good ... there's some streaking issues, but it's serviceable.

Photos are OK, type OK. Cleaned the printheads carefully as well.

Out of Postscript, when it utterly fails, the cyan doesn't print at all. At first I thought it a

memory issue, since one of the prints involved a rotated Photoshop image. Major striping.

Type was banded badly too without cyan. Other inks would band too.

At one point after cleaning the cyan printhead, I put it back in, and it gave me a "Replace

Printhead" message. After ANOTHER cleaning and reseating it, the message disappeared.

My question is: A true printhead failure? Inks clogged the lines? Or is there possible software

issues here? The software question is valid since printing out of OS 9 is more problematic

than OS X ...

BONUS: Things I've learned.

1. Print in color occasionally to keep lines flowing.

2. SHAKE inks occasionally to prevent clogging, especially when installing new.

3. Clogging can be handled by printing a page with 4/C type set to the best print

quality. It doesn't hurt to run a clean via the utility, as it will vacuum the tubes,

but trying this trick may save you ink and still keep the lines flowing.

Thanks in advance to anybody who reads and responds.

da Buzzherd

Professor
Daniel_L
Message 2 of 8 (737 Views)

Re: Printhead Failure? cp1700ps

Hey there rastereyes,

When the printer is not producing quality pages, what is not being displayed properly?

You mentioned there's some streaking issues and cyan is not printing very well but is there a consistency to the issues?

With what you are describing it sounds like there was an issue with using the older, unopened, ink.

Since you already cleaned the printhead, the only other suggestions I would have at this point would be to run an alignment and diagnostic report

Help the community by marking this post as a solution if it solved your issue!.

If my post helped you in any way, please click the blue KUDOS star under my name! It would mean a great deal. :smileyhappy:

Top Student
rastereyes
Message 3 of 8 (734 Views)

[ Edited ]

Howdy, Daniel!

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Quick Answer to your question: Bad stripes throughout the entire printout and the lack of cyan. Photos, graphics,

type. Inconsistencies printing in Mac OS 9, where the prints were worst, and OS X, where the prints were best.

Important Details:

As I stated above, I couldn't print consistently between the two OS's on my drive. As you probably know,
Macs have had two operating systems installed since The '90s due to the fact that ... they're Macs. :smileylol:

Now, despite the fact that some have indicated that OS X IS a postscript-ready OS, the HP instructions that
came with the printer were clear in that the cp1700ps ( Postscript-enabled ) could ONLY PRINT POSTSCRIPT
documents ( ie: design programs such as Creative Suite products as Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and others
I have such as Quark and Freehand ) in Mac OS 9. I rarely have gotten the dreaded "Postscript Error" on the
machine, but this time I printed out a greeting card created in Freehand that had rotated photos, type and that

may have stressed my already-stressed hard disk space. The result: Bad stripes throughout the entire printout

and the lack of cyan.

Undaunted, I tried other tests with similar elements in Quark 5, Photoshop 7 as well as Freehand to no avail.
From there, I ran a myriad of cleanings and diagnostics via the Inkjet Utility: "Test", "Clean", "Calibrate Device",
"Calibrate Color" ... all meant to vacuum the lines, align the heads and flush the printer of ink clumps and air.
Improvement overall, but still not up to snuff, and the cyan? Still a mess there. All this was performed in OS 9.2.

More tests conducted in OS 10.4.11 Tiger. I also found a good idea, and save ink at the same time, by running
prints with a serif face font in cyan only, with the highest quality settings. I understand this also can work ink
blockages out of the heads without sacrificing the ink Utility purges cause. The result in OS X? Weird thing is,
Photos DID print better. Cyan sprang back to life, with better coverage of the other colors. Black, oddly, was
never a problem. Bottom Line: Printing is inconsistent. Better printer activity in OS X, poor in OS 9. This is why
I suspect a software issue could bear responsibility here.

The inks? Dated 2008. Didn't shake before installing, a BIG Bozo No-No. Shaken twice since installing the new
inks three weeks ago. To be clear, I ordered the inks via eBay, they are OEM HP inks, but discounted greatly
for whatever reason. Printheads are OEM, nine years old. I'm just afraid if I order more printheads at $40 a pop,
the problem will continue. This printer was $500+ back in 2003, and I'd rather spend $180 for the heads than
$300 - 500 for a new printer.

Again, thanks for the reply. I'm not the only one who's had this happen and made the same mistakes.

I wanted to go into extreme detail because all workstations are configured differently. The more detail,

the better the diagnostic possibilities.

What throws me is the print inconsistency between OS's. Probable cures, from cheapest to pricey:

1. Replace Inks with new.

2. Replace original printheads.

3. Replace line components.

4. Replace printer. Bash head against wall; repeat.

Thanks, Daniel!

da Buzzherd

Top Student
rastereyes
Message 4 of 8 (724 Views)

UPDATE: Just printed again in OS X, some internet-downloaded RGB images out of TextEdit, a rinky-dink

MS Word knockoff. No big problems with color. Cyan active. No streaks, stripes.

Just thought: Could it be RGB images are fine, but when converted to CMYK I get the problem? Hmmm ...

Professor
Daniel_L
Message 5 of 8 (720 Views)

If you can reproduce the results you've really nailed it down at that point. I'm believing this is sounding more software related tihs point.

If my post helped you in any way, please click the blue KUDOS star under my name! It would mean a great deal. :smileyhappy:

Top Student
rastereyes
Message 6 of 8 (712 Views)

Thanks, Daniel, me too. Any guesses? 'cuz I'm too lazy and unknowledgeable about possible conflicts.

Best,

da Buzzherd

Professor
Daniel_L
Message 7 of 8 (700 Views)

Sorry about the delay - if you did not resolve this yet I'd suggest posting in the commercial boards. You might be able to get a solution there!

You may find the Commercial boards here.
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Support-Forums/ct-p/business-support

Top Student
rastereyes
Message 8 of 8 (690 Views)

That's OK, Daniel, that ANYONE responded is a help. You went beyond the call, thanks.

I'll try that link just to see what turns up.

Yeah, a small update on my end. It seems more apparent that it's a disk space issue.

I printed out of Quark in OS 9 the other day and got far more consistent results after

clearing out some of my iTunes library, which hogs our drive. One photo printed fine,

cyan included ( Yippee! ), but one didn't, so that tells me there's either an issue with

the second photo, in which all I need to do is reimport it, or there's still a memory

issue that will force me to make more disk space.

I did get a Postscript error on the first attempts to print the doc, but as soon as I got rid

of a few unneeded content boxes, the problem disappeared.

Bottom Line: Keep the computer free of clutter as much as possible. These may not

be the days of 12mb ram, but leaving 25% free disk space definitely will prevent much

unnecessary grief.

Best,

da Buzzherd

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation