Question

Honor Student
cherlicity
Message 1 of 6 (3,560 Views)

Printhead Failure

I've had my printer now for a little over a year.  I got it in September 2010.  I do not use the printer very often.  In fact, I've maybe used it a handfull of times in the last year 1/2.  Anyway, the ink was low for awhile and I finally replaced the ink cartridges.  However, the printer never seemed to recognize the new cartridges eventhough it printed just fine.  I didn't think anything of it.  Just yesterday as I was printing, it stopped in mid print and just fed the paper the rest of the way through.  Now my printer says "Printhead installed is not intended for use in this printer" and then it tries to refresh the print head and it seems the print head doesn't move and then the printer tells me there is a paper jam - to remove jam and hit OK.  When I do this, it goes back to the printehead error message. 

I opened up the printer to look inside and it seems there is a small square black piece that fits along the front bottom of the printhead that I'm guessing helps it move back and forth - and a piece has broken off it.  In fact, that whole yellow ribbon like thing came off with the black piece on it.  Not sure what happened - but now I can't print at all and the warrantly says it has expired.

What do I need to do?

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 2 of 6 (3,546 Views)

Re: Printhead Failure

Hi cherlicity, what printer model do you have?

Thanks, Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Honor Student
cherlicity
Message 3 of 6 (3,544 Views)

It's an all in one HP Deskjet 6500
Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 4 of 6 (3,541 Views)

Hi cherlicity,

Try manually cleaning the printhead & then reset the printer (details in link)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01661383&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&ju...

Ciara

Student
ecerick1
Message 5 of 6 (413 Views)

What can I do to fix the printer when it gives the error message "printhead failure?"

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 6 of 6 (399 Views)

ecerick1 wrote:

What can I do to fix the printer when it gives the error message "printhead failure?"

Which printer model?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation