Question

Top Student
mwhynot
Message 1 of 6 (161 Views)

Printing a background horizontal Band 0f all colors

Test Print - Banding.jpg

Installed new cartridges and this is what is happening.  All colors are printing a band.  There was no problem until I replaced the black cartridge with the revised smaller sized cartridge and Staples said all needed to be replaced.  Needless to say cartridges are not cheap and its obvious the problem still exists.  Buying another black cartridge to test is not going to happen since once its opened there is no return.  Has anyone ever encountered this problem before? 

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 2 of 6 (157 Views)

Re: Printing a background horizontal Band 0f all colors

Hi mwhynot

Any luck if you run a printhead clean?

Use one of the following methods to clean the printhead.
Method one: Clean the printhead from the product control panel
  1. On the product control panel, press the Setup button ( ).
  2. Press the down arrow ( ) to highlight Tools , and then press OK .
  3. Press the down arrow ( ) to highlight Clean Printhead , and then press OK . The product cleans the printhead.
  4. Press any button to return to the Tools menu.
Method two: Clean the printhead from HP Solution Center

1. Make sure that the tray contains plain paper.
  2. Double-click the HP Digital Imaging Monitor icon ( ) on the Windows task bar. The HP Solution Center opens.
  3. In HP Solution Center , click Settings .
  4. In the Print Settings area, click Printer Toolbox . The Printer Toolbox opens.
  5. Click the Device Services tab.
  6. Click Clean the printhead .
  7. Follow the on-screen prompts, and then click Done .
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Top Student
mwhynot
Message 3 of 6 (152 Views)

Print head clean does nothing.  Its funny because the printer worked perfectly before putting in the new black cartridge.  The new black cartridge is a different size now as I think HP updated to make it generic  to fit multiple printer models.  As you can see it prints text ok but it adds a band of each of the photo colors on top of each other.  Does the same when printing photo color.  I am thinking whatever electronics is in the cartridge that communicates with the printer may be the culprit but reluctant to spend more money on cartridges to test.

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 4 of 6 (135 Views)

Hi mwhynot

If it was an electrical issue with the cartridge I'd expect that you'd see an error message such as 'Cartridge Missing or Damaged' or 'Incompatible Cartridge'

As this happened when you changed the cartridge, just have a look at it to see if if the vent area is clogged......

If any of the cartridges have vents that are clogged, try cleaning the vents with a pin.
Figure 14: Properly vented
Properly vented cartridge
Figure 15: Clogged vent
Clogged vent on cartridge

Also, FYI - there are some details on the smaller size Black XL in the link below

c02750681

Please let me know how you get on,

Thanks

Ciara

Top Student
mwhynot
Message 5 of 6 (131 Views)

Nope...all vents properly open.  Yea...had found that link cause it made me chuckle as 2 different print carriages in picture.  My sisters has the photo black as per the figure 2.  All cartridges are reporting fine.  Something is really messing this printer up since ALL cartridges are affected.  Was thinking if something was messed in the cartridge electronics it could cause the PCL to react in an undesirable way.  Its not the print driver since it does the same during a simple copy not connected to lappy.  Hate to think the printer.....which is just past warranty is duff.

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 6 of 6 (127 Views)

Hi mwhynot, the tip from Bob to soak the printhead has worked for some folks, Check out details in the post below

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Printing-Questions/Photosmart-Premium-c309a-Black-prints-out-gree...

Ciara

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation