Question

Student
Jakinabox23
Message 1 of 6 (161 Views)

Re: My 5510 photosmart printer will not print black any longer, I have tried everything !

Same problem here, I just spent £37 on cartridges to find this put...simple awful, I will never purchase HP Products again as long as I breath. disgusted.
Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 2 of 6 (156 Views)

Re: My 5510 photosmart printer will not print black any longer, I have tried everything !

[ Edited ]

Hi @Jackinabox23

I take it you already tried running a Printhead clean? Is the printer within warranty?

Thanks

Ciara

Troubleshooting steps for black not printing on PS 5510

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=ie&lc=en&docname=c03425035

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Honor Student
openhand
Message 3 of 6 (145 Views)

This is great for HP- printer has issue, direct customer thru cleaning steps, then direct customer to buy new cartridges (they must know about this issue by now) makemore $ getting customer to spend on unworkable solutions... I even had tech support try to sell me more tech support after they couldn't resolve the issue!Then they tried to sell me another printer. But I'm curious about something- if there's someone out there who hasn't thrown their printer away, and they've loaded new black ink, please try this test: pull up a document that has GREY lettering on it- mine was a Word doc invoice template. Try printing this from file as I did. In my case, none of the regular lettering printed BUT the GREY DID. And grey is nothing more than a light coating of black ink, correct? This means to me the black nozzles are functioning and the printer isn't getting the signal for full black. Software issue. So can anybody print grey? Thks
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 6 (72 Views)

[ Edited ]

openhand wrote:
This is great for HP- printer has issue, direct customer thru cleaning steps, then direct customer to buy new cartridges (they must know about this issue by now) makemore $ getting customer to spend on unworkable solutions... I even had tech support try to sell me more tech support after they couldn't resolve the issue!Then they tried to sell me another printer. But I'm curious about something- if there's someone out there who hasn't thrown their printer away, and they've loaded new black ink, please try this test: pull up a document that has GREY lettering on it- mine was a Word doc invoice template. Try printing this from file as I did. In my case, none of the regular lettering printed BUT the GREY DID. And grey is nothing more than a light coating of black ink, correct? This means to me the black nozzles are functioning and the printer isn't getting the signal for full black. Software issue. So can anybody print grey? Thks

The printer will mix color inks to print gray, if you use a microscope you may see the color drops.  Color will also be used when printing on photo paper, if you select photo paper and print a page of text it will appear the black is working (even though it is not). 

Did you get your issue resolved? Is your printer still in warranty? You can check with HP's warranty tool here.  What country are you located in?

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Teacher
Photokool
Message 5 of 6 (70 Views)

Yes, I can tell you that I was printing my documents in navy blue or gray to try to work around the black ink not printing -- it is using the color inks. That is why you have the option in b/w printing to say black cartridge only. But I also needed to print PDF forms for school band, and I could not convert or change the PDF color to override.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 6 of 6 (63 Views)

Photokool wrote:

Yes, I can tell you that I was printing my documents in navy blue or gray to try to work around the black ink not printing -- it is using the color inks. That is why you have the option in b/w printing to say black cartridge only. But I also needed to print PDF forms for school band, and I could not convert or change the PDF color to override.

The printer could be set to print to photo paper (even if you are actually printing on plain paper), it will then use color ink to print even black text or PDF's.  In a pinch this may be a workaround while you are waiting for a solution from HP.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation