Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I need any possible solutions for a new error message - Remove and check color cartridge.  I am working on a Mac OS 10.6.8 and have been running into lots of printer problems recently.  My HP Officejet 7310 was low on black ink, so I replaced that cartridge and it aligned properly with no problems. Later when I tried to print some labels, it gave me an error message and blinking exclamation point "Remove and check color cartridge."  The color cartridge is not new and has not been recently replaced. It is about half-full. I did remove the cartridge, and saw nothing wrong, so I re-inserted it. Again, the same message. Next I tried cleaning the copper contacts as I have done before. Still no change. I did a search for solutions and tried the following solutions supposedly from an HP support tech:

Solution 1:

Follow the steps below to power cycle your all-in-one:

1. Verify that the unit is switched on. Unplug the all-in-one from power
and disconnect the USB/Ethernet cable.
2. Wait 30 seconds.
3. Plug in the power cable only.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times.
5. On the third time after plugging the unit into power, reconnect the cable from the 
all-in-one to your computer.
6. Now check the functionality.

Solution 2:

Remove both cartridges from the printer and perform the below steps:

1. Clean the copper contacts of the cartridge with a cotton swab or cloth lightly moistened
with distilled, filtered, or bottled water. Tap water may contain contaminants that can 
damage the print cartridges. 
2. Clean the contacts in the print carriage, inside the printer. The print carriage contacts are copper, and are located in the carriage so that they align with the cartridge contacts when the cartridge is installed.

Solution 3:

Reset the All-in-One to the factory default settings by using these instructions:
1. Unplug the power cable from printer when the printer is powered on.
2. Press and hold # and 6 while plugging in the power cord.

Continue holding until it displays Semi Full Reset message in the front panel of the All-in-One.

NONE of these worked.  I am connected by USB as our wireless connection never seems to stay stable.  Can you offer any solutions to the problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

kudo !  kudo  !  sure enough , the power voltage  was too low  resp. the Amps available to short(short of reserve Amps  .)  with 2 good carbatteries  i was able to establish  error free boot up, this All in One works fine . Just make sure  the powersupply is adequate, thanks ,kudos all of you !

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi Charlotte

It sounds like you've done all the necessary troubleshooting so I would suggest contacting HP phone support as you may need a replacement cartridge. You can check the warranty ends date as per the link below

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00206040

Please let me know how you get on

Thanks, Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

I too have the same printer and I am experiencing the same problem. I tried all of the suggestions presented here and none of the worked. What next?

HP Recommended

This  brings me to the end of my wisdom, I decided to live w/o color , how would i skip, force skip,hardwarebridge , the color cartidge check and make it assume its good.??? ???

HP Recommended

I am convinced , even a perfect constructed (9.2 K.Ohms each jetsection) would  give me  same error result. I am ready  to omitt color functions for an open end while, and get the resolve softwarewise , if not possible , hardwarewise!

HP Recommended
@gigergig - Please look at this document here. If you have done all of these steps, plus a hard reset in an attempt to clear the error message; please post back and confirm. I am asking to get a complete feel for where you are in the process. Then I can inbox you some other steps to try.

A hard reset will attempt to clear error message and restore the printer to a known working condition. No user settings are lost with a hard reset. To do a hard reset:
1. With the printer plugged directly into a wall outlet, and turned on, unplug the cord from the rear of the printer.
2. Then unplug the cord from the wall socket.
3. Wait at least 30-60 seconds
4. Plug the power cord back into the wall socket first. If the cord has a module in it, make sure that the light on the module is lit up and then plug cord back into the rear of the printer
5. The printer should power back on by itself, but if not use the power button on front panel to turn machine back on.

I hope that this helps.
I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
HP Recommended

new hp97  of course , cleaned , properly inserted.

Admitively i do not work with the original Power adapter here.

Power stability , issues 28.4 Volt i have only , this in idle, i think we need 32.0 Volt steady . So if deemed probable cause, with led accu's

i can establish 32.0 Volt   many Amps . At least 15 A or so absolutely stable. No ripples. The healthiest DC  in town.

multiple hard  restarts, {Content Removed}  problem persists .

Send me the schematic ,  and  description initial  boot/checksequence, i will find

the point(s) that need to be brought to  +5V  (or whatever is needed on Volts) respectively brought to

(and/or} 0 Volt  , i will isolate  properly (in case later i learn more about the fault). This check color ink sequence and t he

suposibly resulting "good"

status will be overriden by me (and my oscilloscope), I will ,for now, live without color operations.

This is a several hundret $$ worth machine and  , still has its value as Fax,b/w Copier,B/W Printer, Color Scanner.

HP Recommended
At this point, one is looking at product replacement since the above mentioned resets did not clear the error messages and restore the printer to a known working condition. One can look into the Upgrade program where one can get a unit at a discounted price. This link here can provide more information on that option.
HP Recommended

kudo !  kudo  !  sure enough , the power voltage  was too low  resp. the Amps available to short(short of reserve Amps  .)  with 2 good carbatteries  i was able to establish  error free boot up, this All in One works fine . Just make sure  the powersupply is adequate, thanks ,kudos all of you !

HP Recommended

@ gingergig, I am glad that the printer is now working for you. Kudos to you too! :generic: If you need anything else going forward, make sure to keep us posted. Happy Printing!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.