Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP PhotoSmart 7520

I have had my printer for  about 1- 2 years. All of a sudden , the printer won't print  black - but I just replaced the large XL Black 564 cartridge  a few days ago.  The printer indicates the small Set Up  Black Cartridge has run out of ink.   Please advise next steps.  Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

You have to replace the narrower black ink cartridge (called Photo ink cartridge) which has a camera symbol on it.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

You have to replace the narrower black ink cartridge (called Photo ink cartridge) which has a camera symbol on it.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I have looked on how to replace the set up ink cartridge and it suggest to put in a new regular black ink cartridge but it is too big for the slot, so your suggestion to replace the ink cartridge is a wash, do you know where or how to get the skinnier black ink cartridge to replace the set up Photo ink cartridge?

HP Recommended

Hi @Confused1986,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you're unable to fit the black ink cartridge into your printer. I would be happy to look into this with you and please remember to return to this thread and mark 'Accept as Solution', if I have successfully helped you resolve the issue. If you wish to say 'thanks' for my effort to help, click the 'thumbs up' to give me a Kudos.

It sounds like you're trying to fit the regular black ink cartridge with a pentagon on it into the photo black slot, which will not fit.

Here are the ink cartridges available for your printer. 

• Right side: HP 564 Black Ink Cartridge (CB316WN)
  • Right side: HP 564XL Black Ink Cartridge (CN684WN)
  • Left side: HP 564 Photo Original Ink Cartridge (CB317WN)
  • Left side: HP 564XL Photo Ink Cartridge (CB322WN)

For more information see HP SureSupply.

NOTE: The larger black ink cartridge with a pentagon on it goes on the right side. The thinner black ink cartridge with a bow tie on it goes on the left side.

Please see this guide:

Hope this answers your question. Please respond to this post with the results. Thank you for posting!

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.