Question

Honor Student
Jettedd
Message 1 of 7 (5,494 Views)

Using Non-HP Ink Cartridges

My HP 4500 printer will not run on Non-HP ink cartridges.  Is it not against the law to not allow non-OEM ink cartridges to work on HP printers.  My last printer HP Photosmart C5260 would accept them.  If this cannot be resolved I will have to return the product and buy another brand that will allow non-OEM ink cartridges.  Can anyone help on this issue?  Thank you,

Honor Student
paularose
Message 2 of 7 (5,479 Views)

Re: Using Non-HP Ink Cartridges

I just asked a similar question to a tech on a chat session, re a different HP.. She agreed that the printers will not accept 'refilled' cartridges. But she carefully avoided stating that the printers were 'programmed' this way. Which I guess means ANY non HP cartridge. I think HP will be losing a lot of customers with this new 'innovation' (yes, that was sarcasm), **bleep** sneaky and unacceptable practices from HP.

Honor Student
RefreshCarts
Message 3 of 7 (5,470 Views)

Assuming we are speaking about the HP Officejet 4500 it is not really a case of the printer not accepting non-HP cartridges. It is more that the cartridges are heavily patanted and would be expensive to produce a legal compatible. It would take a much cleverer man than me to tell you if this is possible though...

As such all cheaper alternatives I have seen have seen for this range are refilled (often called remanufactured) cartridges. These should be just fine for use in your printer as they are HP original cartridges.

If you have experienced problems with such cartridges previously I would be hesitant to put it down to anything more than a cartridge that has been damaged during the refilling process. If however the cartridges you have had problems with before were genuinely compatible I would suggest giving a remanufactured/refilled alternative a try.

Student
SpideyJones
Message 4 of 7 (4,625 Views)

1st thing you should try doing is going to the printer tools option, looks like a wrench or tool. Select Preferences and use the arrow to scroll down to Cartridge Chip Info (*note it will be on) and select "off". You can check and see if it will print, if not go back to tools Settings and select Tools use arrow and scroll down to "Clean Printhead". 

This is what I used for my HP 5520. It wouldn't print in Black until I performed the Clean Printhead function.

Hope this helps.

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 5 of 7 (4,538 Views)

FYI

See link for HP's warranty statement on cartridges & printheads

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c00206040

What this warranty does not cover
This warranty does not cover HP ink cartridges or customer-replaceable printheads that have been refilled, remanufactured, refurbished, misused, or tampered with. If failure or damage to ink cartridges or customer-replaceable printheads is attributable to the use of a non-HP, expired or refilled ink cartridge, or to the use with a non-designated HP or unauthorized OEM printing device, HP is not responsible for the cost of replacement or refund of the purchase price.

Also see info on printer warranties from the Consumer Choice Info site...

http://www.consumerchoice.info/warranty.htm

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Honor Student
homeadm1
Message 6 of 7 (2,064 Views)

I just replaced one of my HP ink cartridges with a non-official HP ink cartridge in my Office Jet Pro 8600 Premium all-in-one printer.  Now it's locked up with an error message; and I cannot access anything other than the "?" from the console (which displays info on turning off/on, unplugging printer, etc.)

The error message displays:  "X Printer Failure

There is a problem with the printer or ink system.  Turn printer off, then on.  If problem                                                                       persists, contact HP."

If anyone can tell me how to overcome this error to use the non-HP ink I would really appreciate it!  Before this cartridge was installed the printer worked fine.  

Thanks! 

Honor Student
homeadm1
Message 7 of 7 (1,978 Views)

Thanks to all who commented on my post!   Sorry that I failed to ID my printer as: OJ Pro 8600 Premium.

After multiple resets of my printer, replacing the two non-HP cartridges with "genuine HP cartridges" and reseating the printhead - I found that the solution to my problem was to replace the remaining two (genuine HP) cartridges with "genuine HP cartridges".  

For some reason, replacing only the first two (non-HP) that caused the problem was not sufficient - I had to install a complete set of new "genuine HP cartridges".  At this point, I'm just glad to have my printer working again! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation