Question

Honor Student
Amma-K
Message 1 of 32 (3,984 Views)

Using refilled ink cartridge

I am having problems with my printer accepting refilled cartridges, says that the are not HP product or cart has been depleted. It worked for a while.  How can I get past this? HP Deskjet 2050. I read somwhere that we should be able to disable the software that monitors the cartridge but I can not find that information again.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 2 of 32 (3,982 Views)

Re: Using refilled ink cartridge

There is no way around that.  You have to use genuine HP cartridges.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Honor Student
Amma-K
Message 3 of 32 (3,976 Views)

It is a genuine HP cartridge. We should be able to refill them-otherwise the cartridges cost more than the printer.
Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 4 of 32 (3,971 Views)

There is a chip in the cartridge that tells it wether it is new or refilled.  Refilled and remanufactured cartridges normally won't work in HP printers.  

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Honor Student
Denisegp
Message 5 of 32 (3,793 Views)

I refilled my color cartridge and it worked fine.  When I refilled the black cartridge, I get a error message that it is not a HP product and a low ink message.  It will print one page and stop.

Honor Student
Denisegp
Message 6 of 32 (3,789 Views)

If I can't use refilled cartridges, than I will get rid of this printer and buy one from a manufacturer who is more consumer friendly.  I will not continue to pay those high prices for ink cartridges.

Honor Student
Denisegp
Message 7 of 32 (3,786 Views)

Also the cartridge I used is a HP cartridge. It is one that I bought and later had refilled. HP printers don't accept their own cartridges? this sounds like a scam to me.
Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 8 of 32 (3,777 Views)

Hey Denisegp,

What model HP printer do you have?

I see you are having an issue with a refilled cartridge.  There are many issues that can come up in this process.  HP cartridges have a chip built in that is used to detect authenticity, whether it is a used cartridge, and estimate ink levels.  This chip could have been damaged in the process of the refill.  As well, cartridge defects happen very frequently with refills due to the manner in which it is performed.  The cartridge's integrity is comprimised if the refilling company has to drill into the cartridge to refill the ink inside.  

As well, HP ink is very specific in acidity and viscocity.  If the printer's ink system detects an issue with the ink, then you may be presented with errors as well.

Please take a look at the information in the product reviews located here.

Jason

I am not an HP employee.
Student
sellRefillable
Message 9 of 32 (3,727 Views)

Stop filling up landfills and wasting My time.

If I can't use refilled cartridges, then I will get rid of this printer and tell everyone else to do the same.

Sell me refillable cartridges and the ink for them.

There is NO Reason for me to waste time, gas, money, ordering or purchasing individual cartridges when the Technology is available for me to REUSE each cartridges several times. Stop wasting resources.

Student
sjhughes02
Message 10 of 32 (3,679 Views)

So from what I'm understanding is that I cannot use refilled cartridges on my OfficeJet 6500. If this is the case, it is very disheartening.

I recently refilled my cartridges and my printer still reads as if the cartridges are low on ink, and it prints like its low on ink. So is there a way around this?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation