Question

Tutor
NewDaddy
Message 1 of 6 (543 Views)
Accepted Solution

What is the cost of printing 4x6 at home using Photosmart printer?

I have a Photosmart c410a, with which I have love-hate relationship.

One thing  I hate about it is ink cartridge cost. HP 564 is supposed to have an yield of 250 sheets. I'm sure they have some convoluted way of calculating the yield with fine prints and footnotes, because I'm never able to print more than 30 4x6 photos with regular (not XL) HP 564 cartridge set.  

Now, a 4x6 print at Walgreen costs $.20 if you pick up. It's even less if you get it by mail or order many. My back-of-the-envelope calculation tells me that printing  photos at home using this ink-guzzling c410a at least doesn't make economic sense. One adantage of paying premium for being able to print at home, though, is that sometimes Walgreen's color is really off - on average, c410a produces colors much better - and if can immediately make corrections if the print is not to your liking for some reason.

So, is this what a Photosmart printer comes down to? Not a way of saving cost vis-a-vis Walgreen/CVS but paying premium for being able to get a printed photo whenever you want?

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 2 of 6 (536 Views)

Re: What is the cost of printing 4x6 at home using Photosmart printer?

Hi there, for information on page yields and how it's measured check out the links below...

http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/articles/us/en/IsoInkjetYield.html

http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/en-019/yieldSearch.html?cCode=us

Have you tried using XL size cartridges to get more page yield? Whenever you're just printing text do you select Grayscale & Fastdraft?

Ink Usage in inkjet printers http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/articles/us/en/InkUseage.html

Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Tutor
NewDaddy
Message 3 of 6 (525 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Ciara,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I've been to the information pages, which I found very enigmatic. 

So what's the bottom line? HP 564XL has an yield of 750 pages. How many 4x6 photos can a set of C,M,Y and photo black can produce on average?  Please, don't give me "it depends." Yes, it depends, but when you print 750 photos, you won't be printing 750 highly saturated, color-heavy photos. There is the 18% rule in photography.  Any individual photo can be dark (presumably consuming more ink) or light (presumably consuming less ink). But if you aggregate a large number of photos and do an average, they come down to about 18% of gray. So the fact that HP does not give any yield number in terms of average photo prints gives me a reason to suspect that it's not very good. The suspicion is actually confirmed by my own experience.

BTW, I never print documens with c410a. I use HP laser printer for that. C410 is purely for photo printing and scanning - it's terrific at scanning because it can do duplex scanning.

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 4 of 6 (521 Views)

Hi again

I'm having trouble trying to get some PS c410a info. This is what I could get for the PS C510 just as a reference. I'll dig around to see what I can get for your model......

yield.jpg

Tutor
NewDaddy
Message 5 of 6 (509 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the useful info. It's very helpful.

As suspected, the average 4x6 photo yield for a set of CMY & photo black is nowhere near the average document yield of 750 pages. If I can wring out 290 photos with a 564XL as the chart claims, I think it's still a good deal, because it will be about 20c per photo. (I have a feeling that the 290 photos for 564XL is a little inflated though. I never got 100 photos from regular 564).  Plus the convenience of home and better color/paper (I use premium) than Walgreen/CVS.  That is if the actual yield is not too far below the claimed yield.

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 6 of 6 (505 Views)

You're very welcome
:smileyhappy:
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation