Why is the "564 Setup" cartridge not compatible for use when a 564 cartridge is required? (2338 Views)
Top Student
kastigar
Message 1 of 6 (2,338 Views)
Accepted Solution

Why is the "564 Setup" cartridge not compatible for use when a 564 cartridge is required?

I just replaced cartridges and noticed that the label says "564 Setup".  My HP Photosmart Plus B210 printer gives me this error message and won't print and won't accept the cartridge.

Regents Professor
sabretooth04
Message 2 of 6 (2,334 Views)

Re: Why is the "564 Setup" cartridge not compatible for use when a 564 cartridge is requir

Setup cartridges are only to be used the very first time in the printer upon installation and then until gone.  After that, you never use a 'setup' cartridge again.

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution ...
I used to work for HP, but now I'm retired.
Top Student
kastigar
Message 3 of 6 (2,331 Views)

Re: Why is the "564 Setup" cartridge not compatible for use when a 564 cartridge is requir

Thank you. 

It seems as if HP is following the Gillette Razor methodology:  Sell the razor very cheap, but make the profits on the expensive and exclusive razor blades.

Regents Professor
sabretooth04
Message 4 of 6 (2,328 Views)

Been that way since day one of printers.  :smileywink:

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution ...
I used to work for HP, but now I'm retired.
Tutor
Startoker
Message 5 of 6 (771 Views)

Brand New HP 564 color cartridges will no longer work in my HP C309a. I know HP no longer sells/makes this printer; but have cartridges been redesigned so they no longer function in this printer. Older cartridges had 3 electrical contacts. Newer cartridges have four. What gives?

Honor Student
TPconcord
Message 6 of 6 (179 Views)

thislooks like a similar problem to mine... the replacement 564 simply does not fit, it's bigger than the setup 564, makes the printer unusable to not be able to replace the 564 black cartridge.

in my case, it's a  HP Photosmart Premium (Product CN504A, Model C310a), but the problem you describe is the same. 

How about the concept of compatible parts... i'm ready to buy the ink, but the 564 indicated as correct when researching and ordering from HP, does not fit the printer referenced.  how about part numbers that are different when the product is not interchangeable?     

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation