Question
Won't print in grayscale
Replies (67)

Honor Student
lisawojcik
Message 51 of 68 (1,053 Views)

Re: Won't print in grayscale

I can't get my 6600 to print in grayscale when the yellow cartridge is empty. Directions say it should, options on computer say it should - - in fact, it DID DO IT for me once about three months ago - - I was surprised. But now it will not do it anymore.

Help please!

PS. Great marketing scam to force people buy more ink. Good going HP!

Top Student
maggie-o
Message 52 of 68 (1,006 Views)

I actually have the 8600, not the 6600, but it's the SAME DEAL.  From the DAY I got my printer, I changed it to print only Grayscale. Once or twice I added another computer, so it printer color once each til I changed that pc to print only grayscale. - so - it managed to tell me the Y was going to run out or it finally did - not sure - so I bought a new "pack" with all the colors and aside from maybe when it did the initial "check" it has NEVER printed color - yet, all of a sudden, today it's saying that my Y is going to run out, do I want black only and I say yes, and I was only doing black only anyway.. so why is it asking and where is the color ink going?  My husband has the 8500 at his office and the SAME THING happens, he just keeps buying the color packs because he doesn't have time to fool around with this - but it's BS - as we BOTH have ALL OF OUR PC's set for GRAYSCALE so where is the color ink going?  HP - PLEASE reply with permanent fix here for ALL OF US.. I bought a Dell BW Laser printer after having an officejet G85 for like 10 years, (which I NEVER had this problem with) - the Dell printer was so bad I made them take it back and I got this - sticking with the officejet instead of the laser - but this is totally nuts.. So - to be CLEAR. I DID replace the original "starter pack" colors with HP BRAND ink - which is all I EVER use in ANY HP printer I have.. we buy the "XL" Blacks - and we don't use the color - so where is it going and why can't we make the machine just force/auto go to black if the color is evaporating in there or something - which it shoudln't be - what if some day I actually want to print something in color, I have this apparently "dumb" feeling that I could - I never have - but yet still my color ink is going somewhere.. I know I have a full two year service contract on the 8500 at my husband's office.. not sure what I have on my 8600 - probably the same - but gee guess what? I WORK.. I don't have time to hang around my house or my husband's office and argue these things.. PLEASE ADISE, HP.. I probably have 5 HP printers, between my husband's office and home - I would appreciate a resolution to this.  I also have a say in what brand of printers we use at my company, many of which are currently HP - but they are just black and white laserjets..   Thank you.

Top Student
maggie-o
Message 53 of 68 (1,002 Views)

[ Edited ]

HP - you better quick "PM" me for my address and fed ex me a color pack if my printer is going to stop printing - b/c I don't have another set here, and I'm sure like the guy 6 pages ago, it's not just the yellow - but all the colors vanishing into thin air since I am not using them.. [content removed] and for sure I will have to once again try a Dell printer - and hope I get a better one - or - like someone said maybe a canon - that's what we use at my company for color - and that does stop when a color runs out - but it's not set to grayscale it's USED FOR COLOR.. so that's okay.. but why on earth when I hit the button for a BLACK photocopy does it come up telling me I'm almost out of yellow ink is beyond me.. you have a very short time left in my life HP.. tick tock - and like I said - I do all the warranty calls with the bad toner and fuser fo our 4250's where I work and I defintiely have a say in what we buy.. tick tock.. someone better answer me and fast..

Tutor
pumpman1
Message 54 of 68 (999 Views)

maggie-o. Check out the previous posts re this topic. HP informed me that you will never be able to use greyscale or print in black only if your colour tanks are depleted. It is as simple as that. HP are cashing in on the value of coloured ink costing more than the price of gold. Your only response to HP will be to get rid of any HP product you have, tell all of your associates of the rip off that HP proudly represent and in time, this will hurt their bottom line proffit. Justice will everntually privail. Let me repeat, acording to HP experts, you will never be able to print in greyscale or black only if any of your colour tanks are depleted. Join the long line of jacked off HP owners. I put mine in the wheely bin and bought a Canon. Never had a problem since. Best of luck.

Honor Student
lisawojcik
Message 55 of 68 (991 Views)

Re: HP Contact for "Non Solution"

[ Edited ]

HP contacted me back about the "no gray-scale dilemma."  Here is the exchange of messages FYI. HP also does have a Retention Department. Call Sales to find out how to reach them.

Me to HP:

My problem with my Officejet 6600 is that once one ink cartridge runs out (usually either yellow or magenta first) the printer refuses to print at all, even in black only.  I feel like I am held hostage to run out an buy more ink and apparently so do so many other irate HP customers according to the online tech forums I read.  It's unfortunate HP designed it like that. I guess it was a marketing scheme to sell more ink, but it looks like all it did was piss customers off.  I was a very loyal customer of HP for years. I had two HP desktop PCs, two HP laptops, and this is my second HP printer. My Officejet 5700 was a total workhorse, lasting at least 5 years longer than any other printer I ever owned. When the color ink ran low, it easily switched to black. Even if the black ran out first, I could change all the text to dark blue or brown and it would print out with one click.  I am very dismayed that the 6600 seems like a flimsy and design-bungled "piece of junk" in comparison.

I called about 6 or 8 times trying to find a solution to the printing problem because I had to give a speech early Sunday morning at my church and I could not get my printer to print it in black because the yellow ink ran out. I was panicking, as there were no stores open to buy ink or print shops either before giving my speech.  Finally, I was able to reach one tech support supervisor about a half hour before my speech who talked me through a total reset of the printer which was able to override the no-print function. 

Also, I was told that later 6600 units were built with that function corrected, so that it would print in black only without going through all that craziness.  I bought my print direct from HP (by phone) on November 11, 2012, so it is still in manufacturer's warranty. So, I am requesting that I can trade in my unit for one of those corrected (more recent) units.  I do not want a refurbished machine. I bought mine brand new, I want one brand new, not used or rebuilt. I think that is totally fair.  Please let me know when this can be accomplished.

In the mean time, the supervisor said she would email to me the steps we went through to do the reset in case I need to print in black again. She was great in handling my problem, however, she neglected to send me that email. If you could also send that to me, I would appreciate it as a temporary measure until I receive the replacement machine.

Lisa

From HP to Me:

Hello Lisa,

Thank you on the reply e-mail and confirming the issue you currently have. All HP all in one printers have the same design. Once 1 ink rans out it has to be replaced or it will not print. We are fully aware our customers do not like the design and I do apprecite your feedback but at this moment we can not replace your printer since it does not have a HW issue. Reseting your printer each time you run out of ink will not be the correct way to print in black. I do understand you are an HP loyal customer and would like to offer you 2 ink cartridges as a goodwill gesture.

Thank you,
 Carlos [Personal Information Removed]

Top Student
maggie-o
Message 56 of 68 (963 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks Folks... what I don't get is that I HAVE NEVER USED MY COLORED INK so where {Content Removed} is it going? I have always had my printers set to grayscale.. but w/my husband's 8500 and this 8600 - unlike my great old G85 - the color ink must vanish - as I did NOT use it.. it's not like I wait til the color is gone and then want to use only black.. I never used the colors in the first place. are they using colors to make black ink or what?  I am fed up - and done.. what's the best other printer to get?  I got one dell b/w laser and it was horrible.. my husband has a dell inkjet at his office - I will ask him about it.. someone said canon?  just tell me what to get.  I am sure the sales department isn't open now!  Thanks.

Honor Student
Cloudy99
Message 57 of 68 (793 Views)

To HP:

Your Officejet 6600 says this:

"Print when one or more ink cartridges are depleted
The printer can still operate when the black ink cartridge or one or more color ink
cartridges are depleted, but it will print more slowly. Also, the quality of printed
documents might be affected.
The printer will not be able to print when both the black cartridge and a color cartridge
are depleted.
• If the black cartridge is depleted, any black color in printed documents is created
using a combination of the remaining colors. As a result, blacks might not appear to
be as dark.
• If a color cartridge is depleted, the printer will print in grayscale using the black
cartridge."

HP - 

PLEASE PROVIDE OFFICIAL RESPONSE TO THE ABOVE.

Thank you.

Master's Graduate
HandyAndy14
Message 58 of 68 (766 Views)

Hi Cloudy99,

Please click on the link below:

http://goo.gl/rO50SP

There is a post from "Ciara_B" which is located near the bottom of the webpage that should answer your question.

Thank you,

HandyAndy14
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the KUDOS STAR on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Tutor
pumpman1
Message 59 of 68 (755 Views)

Hi Cloudy99. just read back through the complaints about this problem. There is no way of printing when one or more of the tanks are either empty or partialy empty. I tossed my HP 8500A into the recycle bin after trashing it first to make sure no one else gets caught. The printer was just two months old.  HP are cashing in on the price of ink which is almost the same as "Gold". I perservered with asking for assistance from HP and got a load of nonsence in retrune. Simple answer, buy a cannon and speak to the sales person to check the specs out prior to paying for the unit. Another good idea is to tell all of your friends and colleagues about this money grabbing practice used by Hp. Best of luck.

Student
ncrncpn
Message 60 of 68 (736 Views)

I do not have set up cartridges in my machine and it will not let me print in blank ink only when one of the color cartidges is empty. The only choices I have when the screen comes up is to cancel printing or shop online for more cartridges. I have changed all of my preferences to black ink only and grayscale. This is unacceptable that an HP printer has to have all of these color cartridges for printing in black ink.  Also there is no warning that a color cartridge will run out.  I have bought HP printers and computers for the past 15 years but this will be my last one if there is not a solution to this problem. Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation