Question

Student
ecowisewise
Message 1 of 68 (18,955 Views)

Won't print in grayscale

I have a Officejet 6600 and it is out of yellow ink and I would like to just print in black ink or grayscale but it will not let me. I have changed the preferences to grayscale and black ink only but it still says "Ink Cartridges Depleted - The cartridges must be replaced to resume printing." I have read online and in the manual that it should print in grayscale if only one of the ink cartridges is depleted. I prefer to never print in color and only in grayscale. Is there any way to avoid having to buy a yellow ink cartridge just to print things in grayscale?

Master's Graduate
KennyB3
Message 2 of 68 (18,941 Views)

Re: Won't print in grayscale

[ Edited ]

ecowisewise,

Yes, the HP Officejet 6600 e-All-in-One Printer - H711a/H711g can continue to print with grayscale when one or more of the color ink cartridges are depleted.  It can also continue printing with the black ink cartridge depleted.  Continue through any of the messages that appear.

The printer will need the replacement cartridges as soon as possible because after ink has gone through the nozzles the printhead needs fresh ink to flow through the nozzles again to prevent damage.

Click here for the Officejet 6600 User Guide for further details.

Click the Kudos on the left side for helping and click Accept as Solution for providing a solution. I work for HP.

Best Regards,
Kenneth
Top Student
bdaly2012
Message 3 of 68 (18,915 Views)

Hello,

I also have an OfficeJet 6600 and it will not let me print in black and white only. I have tried multiple times, with the depleted cartrdiges in and out and always get the message that ink cartridges are depleted.  According to the manual, the printer should just print in b&w when the colors are low, but that is not the case for me.  I was not expecting to have to buy color cartridges just to get the printer to print b&w.  Very annoying.  Is there something I (we?) are missing?  Brian Daly

Top Student
bdaly2012
Message 4 of 68 (18,883 Views)

I wanted to add more to my previous post.  Today I installed 3 new color cartridges in my OfficeJet 6600, because I had not been able to print at all for several days.  At first I installed just the 2 that were empty; the e3rd - Cyan - was only low.  As soon as I did that I was able to print.  But then I quickly got the message that the Cyan cartridge was depleted; however it them prompted me to print using Black Ink Only, as the 2nd post here states, and as I saw in the manual and online.

The cartridges I replaced were the Setup cartridges.  The printer and its software knows that.  Perhaps there is some oddity with the Setup cartridges that prevent printing in Black Ink Only.  Don't know, but thought I'd throw my two cents worth out there.  Everything appears to be fine now.

Brian Daly

Honor Student
HPUserWA
Message 5 of 68 (18,771 Views)

This issue is so aggravating. As the other guys mentioned, the printer does not print grayscale even after following the instructions in the manual. While this can help your sales strategy, it completely prevents customers from using your product. 

Student
healthylawn
Message 6 of 68 (18,686 Views)

I have replaced the ink cartridge Y and the printer still thinks that the cartridge has not been replaced. I havent been able to print anything, even in grayscale. I have changed the print setting to grayscale only and that does nothing, plus I am concerned that the printer isnt picking up on the replacement cartridge.

Master's Graduate
KennyB3
Message 7 of 68 (18,683 Views)

[ Edited ]

Great info bdaly2012.  The setup cartridges do need to go through a certain process and do not have the continue printing when cartridges are depleted option.  Thank you very much for sharing how it worked out.

Click the Kudos on the left side for helping and click Accept as Solution for providing a solution. I work for HP.

Best Regards,
Kenneth
Master's Graduate
KennyB3
Message 8 of 68 (18,682 Views)

healthylawn,

With the printer saying that a cartridge is missing after replacing the cartridge, the contacts on the carriage may need to be cleaned.  I can find references for us on how to do this but I'm not sure which printer you are using.

Best Regards,
Kenneth
Top Student
Simon123
Message 9 of 68 (18,475 Views)

Won't print in grayscale

I also bought that HP 6600. Pretty nice printer until it gets quickly out of ink. Now I am stuck to read a milion post on how I can print ONLY black while yellow is apparently missing. I have tried to print in greyscales, only black, change the quality, etc. Nothing works. Any answer on this problem? I am usually not a complainer but this is very annoying for costumers. Apparently I am not the only one with this issue. 

Top Student
bdaly2012
Message 10 of 68 (18,470 Views)

If you still have the start up ink cartridges that came with the printer when purchased, I suggest you replace them all with real ink cartridges and see how it goes.  I had similar problems and putting in normal ink cartridges resolved the problems.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation