Question

Student
potts316
Message 1 of 14 (460 Views)

black ink not printing

HP Photosmart 5510 won't print in black anymore. Just over a year old, average usage. Tried two different cartridges and all the basic fixes. Don't know what else to try. A printer should last longer than a year shouldn't it?

Student
seija_eu
Message 2 of 14 (451 Views)

Re: black ink not printing

I've got the same problem with my HP Officejet 6200 series. Hope someone can help, please!

Honor Student
cellwrangler
Message 3 of 14 (451 Views)

I replaced all the ink cartridges in my printer and now the black ink is not printing.  I have tried all the things HP suggests and have even replaced the black cartridge again. What's going on? Help HP.

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 4 of 14 (420 Views)

If the printer is not printing a particular color, then the unit is having a print quality issue.  There are a few things one can try in this case.

* The first step I would try is to perform an Ink System Reset.  This is to ensure the printer has proper connections with the print cartridges/printhead(s).  For information on how to perform this reset click here.

As well, have you tried running the Clean Printhead utility in the software/front panel of the printer.  I would advise trying 3 levels of the clean printhead to try to force ink through the ports and get any clogged ports open.

Also, when you changed the cartridge did the unit perform an automatic alignment?  Did this pass or fail?

There is further troubleshooting steps in the print quality document for your printer.  I will provide the link to the different printers in this thread.  Select the one that applies:

Photosmart 5510

Officejet 6200 Series

@ cellwrangler - What model HP printer do you have?

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Student
DanHen
Message 5 of 14 (383 Views)

I had the same trouble on my Officejet 6500, I finally removed all of the ink cartridges from the print head and removed the print head.  I found out the black ink leaked from underneath the ribbon cable on the print head and got on the connections the head connects to preventing the signal to get to the head.  I cleaned the ink off by using Q tips and rubbing alcohol.  I probably should get a new print head as I have to do this every two months or so now.

Honor Student
cellwrangler
Message 6 of 14 (365 Views)

My printer is an HP Photosmart 6510 series (B211a) I will try your suggestions and get back to you with the results.

Honor Student
sklove
Message 7 of 14 (344 Views)

Thank you.  I went under tool and pushed clean printhead a couple of times and I got black ink. yea

Honor Student
Jrowe1211
Message 8 of 14 (337 Views)

Could you please provide further print quality troubleshooting help for the photosmart 7510?? My reg black ink is not printing!

Honor Student
mm707
Message 9 of 14 (287 Views)

My Photosmart 7510 is not printing regular black ink either. I put in a new cartridge and I still get a "low" reading even after doing the Ink System reset and the automatic print head clean.

Can you post the link for this device too?

is this a cartridge issue?

Student
Martin19
Message 10 of 14 (277 Views)

I have also put in two brand new black ink cartridges and the black is still not printing?  In the middle of a giant project pleasr help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation