Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I bought this printer a few weeks before Christmas and everything seemed fine after I installed it. I printed about 100 pages on the starter ink, before it asked me to replace the black ink. It has both color and black ink, but I will (mostly) be printing pages of black text. Ever since I replaced the black ink cartridge I consistently get a "Carriage Jam" error. The carriage moves around a bit, but then gets stuck on the far left side. There are lots of clicking (stuck) sounds, then two high pitch beeps, followed by more clicking sounds as it tries to move from the left side, until it gives up and errors out.

I've followed steps on correcting the issue, but there is nothing in the carriage area obstructing it. I followed a troubleshooting guide a week ago, but it didn't fix the issue. It was a 7 step guide. Then today I got an auto update with troubleshooting options, which I followed, but didn't work.

When I unplug the printer from its back and check the carriage out I see no obstructions, then I plug it back in and close the cartridge door and that's when it starts clicking on the left side and remains stuck.

Help! I can't print anything now.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks Samierus, I ended up going back to where I bought it and they had extended the return date policy so that I was able to trade it in. I picked up the Photosmart 6510, and I'm hoping for better results.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Anyone have any suggestions?

HP Recommended

Hello, I'm looking for some of that Expert Help you guys have going on. Sadly I'm not at my printer at this moment, but any help would be great, and I can follow up on it this evening. I'm close to just taking this printer back to Best Buy. The Carriage Jam issue has not been resolved.

HP Recommended

Hi there.

Please click on the link below and the video will show how to resolve the issue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BU7XoqxTWY

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
HP Recommended

Hey Samierus, thanks for the reply. I'm 10 minutes into the video, but it hasn't fixed anything yet. One of the many directions the guy gives includes "The carriage will move to the center of the printer". This never happens, unless I open the door just after turning it on, before the carriage has a chance to jam and error out. The carriage will not move to the center if it already has the Carriage Jam error, and I open the carriage door. I can't find any paper fragments anywhere because there was never a paper jam. I got the Carriage Jam error after putting in a new Black Ink Cartridge.

When the video tells me I should try to print a page, I can't figure out how to do it. My printer's interface is different than the 3050 model they are using in the video.

Okay, I've finished the video and now realize that this is a video version of the 7 steps I mentioned in my first post. So, now I've done this twice, and I still cannot get the Carriage Jam error to clear. I'll happily upload a video of exactly what happens to youtube and give you the link, if you think its necessary.

As of right now my printer doesn't work. I get a Carriage Jam over and over.

HP Recommended

I am very sorry to hear that. The best thing to do would be to call Hp Technical Support and get the printer replaced as it seems to be an issue with the hardware.

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
HP Recommended

Thanks Samierus, I ended up going back to where I bought it and they had extended the return date policy so that I was able to trade it in. I picked up the Photosmart 6510, and I'm hoping for better results.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.