Question

Student
irene85
Message 1 of 10 (6,010 Views)

cartridge error: refer to device documentation for troubleshooting.

HP Officejet 5610v All-In-One printer

Ever since I replace my ink cartridges last it comes up with an error message on the printer stating "cartridge error: refer to device documentation for troubleshooting". I have cleaned them, replaced them AGAIN, yet still get the same message. Nothing on the printer help pages actually helps me. Any suggestions???? Thanks!

Professor
007OHMSS
Message 2 of 10 (5,959 Views)

Re: cartridge error: refer to device documentation for troubleshooting.

This may offer some help:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00428054&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=441126&tmp_...

007OHMSS

I was a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.
Student
cirwilson
Message 3 of 10 (5,666 Views)

i have cleaned my cartridge and i keep getting a message saying refer to device documentation to troubleshoot.

Honor Student
fakeemb
Message 4 of 10 (4,663 Views)

Ever since I replace my ink cartridges last it comes up with an error message on the printer stating "cartridge error: refer to device documentation for troubleshooting". I have cleaned them, replaced them AGAIN, yet still get the same message. Nothing on the printer help pages actually helps me. Any suggestions???? Thanks!

Honor Student
fakeemb
Message 5 of 10 (4,663 Views)

Distinguished Professor
Shirlzz1
Message 6 of 10 (4,635 Views)

@fakeemb- Do you have the same printer as the one the original author of the thread mentioned in his post? Did you refer to the document provided by 007OHMSS? If you have and have done the steps offered, the next step that I would take would be to do a hard reset to the printer in an attempt to clear the error message and restore the printer to a known working condition. No user settings are lost with a hard reset . 

1.  With the printer plugged directly into a wall outlet, and turned on, unplug the cord from the rear of the printer.
  2.  Then unplug the cord from the wall socket.
  3.  Wait at least 30-60 seconds
  4. Plug the power cord back into the wall socket first. If the cord has a module in it, make sure that the light on the module is lit up and then plug cord back into the rear of the printer
  5. The printer should power back on by itself, but if not use the power button on front panel to turn machine back on. 

I hope that this helps. 
I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
Student
pankal
Message 7 of 10 (3,173 Views)

I have used an HP 5610 All-in-One since 2008. Almost a year ago, I decided to buy remanufactured ink cartridges. Everything was working perfectly, till last week when my printer gave me an orange light and the message Cartridge error, refer to the device documentation for troubleshooting.

I found your forum, I read carefully all the question and answers. I cleaned the cartridges but nothing happened. Then I visited the shop where I used to buy the remanufactured ink cartridges. I discussed the problem I had with the saleswoman on duty. She reassured me that there is no problem with the remanufactured ink cartridges and most probably the problem is that one of the cartridges is empty and the printer does not recognize it. I bought both, black and colour cartridges. And by replacing initially the colour one the problem was solved.

I hope that this helps.

Honor Student
Windingdown
Message 8 of 10 (3,097 Views)

I read all the BS they are saying about cartridges and it seems pretty far fetched to me, cuz I was doing fine making pdf file and printing a week after changing my cartridges so I just  HARD BOOTED my printer, from being on I unpluged it for a few minutes and plugged it back in and VOLIA it worked again! Tell me how briliant I am cuz Im just a mom trying to do it all the easy way LOL.. :smileylol:

Honor Student
Windingdown
Message 9 of 10 (3,096 Views)

wow jump through many hoops? I just unplugged it from the wall while it was on for a few minutes solved the problem.
Retired
SuperMario1
Message 10 of 10 (3,019 Views)

Hello. If you are still having difficulties with your Officejet 5600 series printer, I've found a document that can assist with cartridge errors:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00428054&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=441126&tmp_...

If following the steps does not resolve the issue, I would attempt a hard reset. To do that, unplug the power cord from the printer to shut it down instead of touching the power button. After it is unplugged, hold down the power button for 30 seconds, then plug the printer back in and let it turn on.

Let me know if you have further questions. I'm only here to help!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation