Question
cartridge protection
Replies (18)

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 11 of 19 (858 Views)

Re: cartridge protection

cmathes wrote:
It says that the cartridge is HP protected and to install a new cartridge.

Hi cmathes, which printer model do you have? Are you using old cartridges on a replacement printer?

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Honor Student
cmathes
Message 12 of 19 (851 Views)

It is the 8600. The cartridges were purchased new just a couple of weeks before the old printer died. They will not work in the refurbished printer sent as a replacement under the warranty. They are nearly full.
Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 13 of 19 (841 Views)

cmathes wrote:
It is the 8600. The cartridges were purchased new just a couple of weeks before the old printer died. They will not work in the refurbished printer sent as a replacement under the warranty. They are nearly full.

Hi, I'm going to private message you on this.

Thanks

Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Honor Student
sctch8
Message 14 of 19 (802 Views)

Hello.  Please help! I have a office jet 8100 at home and at my job at school.  I bought printer ink yesterday for my school printer, but had to use in my home printer yesterday.  I planned to bring it to school today and install it in my school printer.  It says my ink is protected.  Is there a way to undo this?

If not, is there a way that I can set up my printer at home not to automatically protect the cartridges I install so I can use them back and forth??

Thanks!

Retired
SuperMario1
Message 15 of 19 (784 Views)

Hello sctch8. HP technical support possesses the correct information on cartridge protection. You can utilize this website to learn how to contact HP appropriately, based on your region: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
Student
Shennin202
Message 16 of 19 (735 Views)

We're having the same issue here, we have multiple remanufactured (refilled) cartridges that were used with no problems with the original Officejet 8600, but that one died and was replaced with a brand-new Officejet 8600, which now will not use the old cartirdges since they were protected by the old one. Is there any way to override the Protection on the cartridge itself so it can be used in the new replacement of the same model??

Student
slgsa
Message 17 of 19 (668 Views)

I have the same issue.  Bought the same exact printer HP 8600 had completely new cartridges just put in the old one before it died, and now can't use them. 

How do I unprotect these cartidges?

Student
JimBurn
Message 18 of 19 (659 Views)

I am experiencing a problem with my new printer not taking the cartridges from my prior printer that is in the same 6500 series.  Any help to correct this will be greatly appreciated.  It keeps saying HP Protected Cartridge Installed.

Honor Student
gjbates
Message 19 of 19 (544 Views)

I had to buy a new printer as my previous HP 5610 printer head failed , but when I tried to use the used, but 90% full , black print cartridge on the new HP5620 printer I got the message that the cartridge was protected and could not be used. I had not applied this protection.

How do I remove the protection from the old cartridge so that I can use it on the new printer?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation