Question

Student
cassert
Message 1 of 19 (1,617 Views)

cartridge protection

How do you disable "cartridge protection" for an HP 6100.  I replaced it under warranty and now the ink cartridges will not work.  Please help.....

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 19 (1,605 Views)

Re: cartridge protection

Hi,

I afraid it cannot be disabled.

Once setting a cartridge protection the specific ink cartridge cannot be used on another device and that cannot be bypassed.

I would recommend cotacting HP support, although I doubt the ink cartridges will be replaced as the new replacement printer anyway include new Setup ink cartridges .

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 3 of 19 (1,561 Views)

cassert wrote:

How do you disable "cartridge protection" for an HP 6100.  I replaced it under warranty and now the ink cartridges will not work.  Please help.....

Hi, did you get a printer replacement and are now trying to use the old cartridges in the replacement printer? 

Thanks, Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Student
hpnoway
Message 4 of 19 (1,504 Views)

[ Edited ]

I had a hp phohotsmart 5510 that suddenly broke down 30 days past the warranty date.  HP of course refused to replace it.  The ink cartridges were new,  so I kept them.

Bought a new HP 5525 Photosmart only because I had unused cartridges, and its was on sale at an extremely low price of $60 at Sams Club. 

Now black ink cartridge is depleted.   Tried to use the black ink cartridge which is 90% from the old printer and the new printer is saying protected cartridges detected and will not allow me to use it. 

READING IN THIS FORUM I DISCOVERED THAT HP WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO USE CARTRIDGES THAT MAY BE FILLED ALMOST TO CAPACITY IN A NEW PRINTER.  

THIS IS A RIP OFF!!!!!!   AGAIN FROM HP!!!!      APPARENTLY THERE IS NO WAY TO  UNPROTECT THE CARTRIDGE OR TELL THE PRINTER IT IS OK TO USE IT.  I TRIED SETTING THE CATRIDGE CHIP ID BUTTON TO OFF ,  BUT THIS DID NOT HELP.

IF I WERE AS DISHONEST AS THIS COMPANY I WOULD REBOX THE PRINTER,   REBOX THE CARTRIDGES, AND SAY THE PRINTER IS NOT WORKING SINCE THIS TIME I PURCHASED THE WARRANTY.

IF ANY OF YOU HP SUPPORT PEOPLE KNOW AWAY TO REMEDY THIS OR IF I CAN RETURN THE CATRIDGE THAT CANNOT BE USED AND GET MY MONEY BACK,  PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

I AM THINKING THIS HAS HAPPENED TO MANY PEOPLE SINCE I HAVE READ HUNDREDS OF COMPLAINTS ABOUT HP PHOTOSMART PRINTERS BREAKING DOWN IN A ABOUT A YEARS TIME.

[Content Removed]

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 5 of 19 (1,492 Views)

Hi, I'm going to private msg you on this...

Thanks

Ciara

Student
juliawhitted
Message 6 of 19 (1,470 Views)

Hello, 

I am experiencing the same issue and was wondering if you could help me too.  Please.  I'm so frustrated. My ink cartridges are basically full and now they're not usable??

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 7 of 19 (1,466 Views)

Hi Julia, I just sent you a private msg....

Honor Student
cmathes
Message 8 of 19 (1,427 Views)

I am just about as frustrated as ever.  After a week of emails back and forth, I received a replacement printer (HP 8600 Office Jet Pro) under warranty for a printer I purchased in July 2013, the old cartridges would not work and the printer would not complete the setup process. I called tech support and no one mentioned the fact that the issue was with the cartridges being "protected" (from whom, me?) and instead sent an entirely new printhead with starter cartridges.  Now, after setting up the printer with the new printhead and starters, I am finding that the issue was with the brand new ink cartridges from the old printer which cost over $100, which have apparently been "protected" by the old printer to keep me from using my ink cartridges in whatever way I see fit.  These starter cartridges certainly do not have the same value as the HP XL size cartridges I had just installed in the old printer before it quit.  Needless to say, there will never be another HP printer in my office again.

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 9 of 19 (1,416 Views)

Hi, the new printer won't accept the SETUPs that were in the original printer, but they should still be able to accept Trade cartridges (purchased from a store). Are you seeing a particular error msg with the Trade cartridges?

Honor Student
cmathes
Message 10 of 19 (1,405 Views)

It says that the cartridge is HP protected and to install a new cartridge.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation