Question

Student
kddeb
Message 1 of 4 (1,766 Views)

color prints but black ink does not print

I have an all-in-one HP Officejet 6310.  I installed a new color cartridge and a new black cartridge because it suddenly stopped printing ink on the paper. The color ink prints on paper perfectly. The black ink will not appear. I made a small test document with a combination of different color words and black words. Only the color prints. I have now tried three different new black cartridges wondering if they were faulty. I get the same result each time. School is about to start and I'm beginning to panic. Please help!

Deb

Grad Student
Pontus_N
Message 2 of 4 (1,758 Views)

Re: color prints but black ink does not print

Hello kddeb,

Try cleaning the contact plates on the cartridge and the corresponding part in the carriage. Use a damp lint-free cloth. While cleaning the cartridge, make sure that the protective tape is removed completely.

Make sure that the cartridges are not too old (they will not stop working after a set time or anything like that but if they're really old they might be dried out), there's a date stamped above the contact plate on the cartridge. This is the "install before date". If the cartridges are really old, the printhead might be filled with dried ink. To clear this you can try to heat some water and then just dip the part of the cartridge where the ink comes out into the water for a little while. Then let it dry and test the cartridge again.

If the problem remains, make sure that it's an original HP cartridge and not a refilled/remanufactured one. There are documents available with troubleshooting steps for a number of different issues. This document describes how to check ink levels, print a test page and also links to other documents depending on how the test page looks:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00634261&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=1119598

If you really need to print something you can just remove the black cartridge from the printer and print with only the color one installed. This will make the printer print in backup/reserve mode and while the print quality might not be perfect, it will at least print.

Student
designwriter
Message 3 of 4 (1,705 Views)

Black printing started to show white streaks. so I did:

2 printer head cleanings

2 head realignments

2 reset to factory default settings per recommendation of HP answer page

Checked and wiped the cartridge and the printer header x 2

result:

now my printer does not print black at all,

and I have emptied 3 new color cartiredges down to the "alert" stage.

Note, I am using a new XL black ink cartridge and it worked fine earlier today.

What do I do to get my printer to print black text and photo copies?

PS the printer is less than 90 days old.

Student
ys9611
Message 4 of 4 (1,572 Views)

Color prints but black does not.

We have cleaned the printheads, and the connection contact points.

We changed the printhead, replaced the cartridge with a new one and tried again.

We both have the same printer so swapped the cartridges between them.

Both cartridges work on one of the printers, but not in the other.

What is the problem?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation