Question

Honor Student
asn2
Message 1 of 5 (293 Views)

deskjet 5440 color ink cartridge suddenly not recognized

Deskjet 5440. Sudenly started getting message "Incorrect Print Cartridge" while using same HP cartridge. Cartridge had not been changed or replaced.

Distinguished Professor
SeanS
Message 2 of 5 (282 Views)

Re: deskjet 5440 color ink cartridge suddenly not recognized

Hey Asn,

You recently havent moved out of the country have you? Also what operating system are you using on your computer? Try resetting the printer by:

1. Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.
  2. With the product turned on , disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
  3. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  4. Wait at least 15 seconds.
  5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
  7. If the product does not turn on by itself, press the Power button ( ) to turn it on.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks

Sean

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Honor Student
asn2
Message 3 of 5 (274 Views)

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the quck reply.

No, I haven't moved at all and I am using Windows XP. There have been no changes to my equipment or location. This started happening with no apparent reason. 

I followed your instructions but I still get the same message. It's only happening with the Tri-color 93 cartridge. The Black and white 92 is fine.

Thanks again,

asn2

Distinguished Professor
SeanS
Message 4 of 5 (267 Views)

Does this error message appear from the Hp Toolbox? Have you tried removing the Color cartridge and visually checking where it gets seats? Make sure it is making a solid connection to the electrical contacts and there is no ink residue covering the contacts.

Sean

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Honor Student
asn2
Message 5 of 5 (255 Views)

Sean,

Thank you for your reply.The message pops-up on the screen as soon as I send a document to the printer.

I tried cleaning the contacts and it still doesn't work.  I guess it's time for a new printer. Thank you for trying anyway.

asn2

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation