Question

Tutor
zonindallas
Message 1 of 6 (189 Views)

empty cartridge

my hp officejet pro L7590 is a out of magenta and won't print. i can't get to a retail outlet right now and need to print. how can i override the "job canceled" message. thanks, j

HP Support Agent
Waterboy71
Message 2 of 6 (160 Views)

Re: empty cartridge

Hi zonindallas,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I see that you are attempting to override the error and do a few more print jobs.  I have done extensive research on this issue and I have searched through the products user guide as well as the on line services and I have determined that you do need to replace the depleted cartridge before the error will clear so you can print again.

I do apologize for the inconvenience.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to write back.

Thank you.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
Tutor
zonindallas
Message 3 of 6 (152 Views)

i tried an experiment. i took 2 magenta 88 catridges. one, the printer showed as empty. the other as still having ink. i was able to switch the "computer chips) located on the "business end" and opposite where the ink comes out. i then installed the empty cartridge (but, with the chip of the non-empty cartridge) and the printer still showed it empty. how come.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 6 (146 Views)

The obvious answer - it shows as empty because it IS empty.  Changing the chip does not change the fact that the cartridge is empty. There are sensors besides the chip.  Unfortunately, since the chip was placed on an empty cartridge and installed in the printer it may now be marked as empty.  If this is the case then putting the chip back on the original cartridge will not resolve the issue - the new cartridge may now show as empty.   If this is the case you will need a fresh (uncompromised) cartridge.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Tutor
zonindallas
Message 5 of 6 (126 Views)

so, why is it that whenever the printer shows a cartridge is empty and i open the cartridge and the bladder inside there is always about a 1/2 oz. of ink left . why is it when i talk to people in the computer/printer industry they say HP has a reputation for scamming people into buying cartridges by giving via the printer screen  premature empty messages; messages that say the cartridge has expired, continued use will damage the unit. why is it your own tech support has told me that an expired cartrudge will not damage the printer; using an empty cartrudge will not damage the unit.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 6 of 6 (111 Views)

[ Edited ]

Some of your comments might be true for some printers, but not true for other models, whether from HP or another manufacturer.  There are different ink jet technologies and they have different tradeoffs.

Printers with permanent printheads (like your L7590) WILL be damaged if one of the colors are allowed to run dry.  Model with printheads integrated to the ink supply can run with empty (or even removed in recent models) without damage, since the printhead will be replaced with the next cartridge replacement.

Similarly, printers with permanant printheads (and the plumbing that connects them) are more susceptible to old ink.  Ink does lose liquid over time and becomes more viscous.  Some HP models do enforce ink expiration to prevent damage to the printer that would be caused if the ink gets too thick.  The document here discusses ink expiration.

On most HP printers the low on ink indicator is set to give a warning far enough ahead of actually running out of ink to allow time to buy new ink.  Most of the printers do not require ink to be replaced until print quality starts to suffer.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation