Question

Student
credman41
Message 1 of 2 (140 Views)

envy 4500 ink cartridges HP61

for envy 4500, can both 61 and 61XL ink cartridges be used, and what is a cartridge for "old generation"?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 2 (135 Views)

Re: envy 4500 ink cartridges HP61

[ Edited ]

The HP SureSupply site indicates either the 61 or 61XL cartridges are suitable for the Envy 4500.  (May be different cartridges numbers if you are outside the US).

HP made some changes to some cartridges.  The updated cartridges work in older and new printers, but the older cartridges do not work in some newer printers.  See the document here for information.

If you are getting an error message related to "older generation cartridge" I suggest you check the cartridge warranty information in the document here.  Cartridge warranty is separate from the printer warranty, typically two years from the cartridge date of manufacture.  If the cartridge is under warranty then contact HP or your dealer for a replacement.  In the US call 1-800-HPINVENt, elsewhere see the contact information here.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation