09-13-2013 08:52 PM
I have tried to replace my tri color 9 ink cartridge in my Photosmart 2710 All In One printer and on all 3 cartridges ive tried i've recieved an error message stating "tri color print cartridge now is not intended for use in this printer" & "remove and check color cartridge" which appeard on another one of the cartridges. At first i just thought it was a faulty cartridge but after trying 3 of them now makes me wonder if i need to download new software. I really need help and if you have an answer can you elaborate with steps i need to do and not trouble shooting because ive done everything that HP has recomemeded to cleaning the chip strip to buying new cartridges, so i know its in the printers hardware and not on my end. thank you so much
09-14-2013 08:44 PM
There are several possible issues, some are fixable and others are not. HP Diagnostics refer the the print cartridges as "pens". In order of ease of fixing check the following. You have already ruled out the first two possibilities:
- Clean the contacts on the cartridge and in the printer as shown step 1-3 of this page.
- The cartridge may have failed and need to be replaced, as described in step 5. If this is the case check the cartridge warranty as shown in this page.
- The most difficult (and least recoverable) option is if the x-bias spring has become dislodged as shown in step 4 of this page. If the spring is dislodged but has not punctured the flex circuit in the back of the carriage you may be able to fix this by using epoxy to fix the spring back in its proper position (see the spring on the black side to see how it should go). If the spring has punctured the flex circuitry it is not likely to be feasible to repair. There was an extended warranty for this issue but it expired five years ago.
Bob Headrick, HP Expert
I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.
If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V
If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V
- Which Cartridges Work with My HP Printer?
- Resolving 'Problem with Printhead,' 'Printer Failure,' 'Ink System Failure,' or a '0x...' or a 'C2...' Error
- HP 68xx and 6230 Printers - 'Problem with printhead' Error (Americas and Asia)
- HP 68xx and 6230 Printers - 'Problem with printhead' Error (Europe, Middle East, Africa)
- HP Instant Ink - What Is HP Instant Ink?