Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an HP all in one 7400 printer//scanner/copier/fax. I am suddenly getting an error message to "remove and check color cartridge. I have done so several times and cleaned all the excess ink I can see. Turning the printer off/on has no effect. Disconnecting/reconnecting power also no effect. Any suggestions on other solutions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I had the very same problem with my HP Officejet 7410 so cleaned the ink cartridge and carriage contacts per the directions listed on this link: 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01423559

After my first attempt at cleaning these contacts, i reinserted the cartridge and tried printing again but I got the same error message.  Next I removed both cartridges (color & black) from their slots and after pointing a flashlight at the carriage I discovered the bottom of the carriage was covered with ink, so....using over a dozen cotton swabs I cleaned the bottom of the carriage as best i could.  Also, thinking that perhaps the ink cartridge was not manufactured exactly to its proper size and shape, when i inserted the cartridges back into their slots I slightly pressed them in to be sure the contacts would touch. 

I was happy to see that now the error message is gone and my printer is printing again....well, at least for now.

Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I will need a little more info in order to help out. Is this printer the Officejet 7410, or officejet 7410xi? Or the Officejet Pro L7480? they all come up when I run a search for the OJ 7400 all in one.  The best way to pinpoint the exact model of printer is with the product  number. Here is a link that will show how to obtain that number for any HP device that you own.   Is the printer plugged directly into wall outlet? Is the ink in the printer genuine HP non-refilled ink? 

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
HP Recommended

I had the very same problem with my HP Officejet 7410 so cleaned the ink cartridge and carriage contacts per the directions listed on this link: 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01423559

After my first attempt at cleaning these contacts, i reinserted the cartridge and tried printing again but I got the same error message.  Next I removed both cartridges (color & black) from their slots and after pointing a flashlight at the carriage I discovered the bottom of the carriage was covered with ink, so....using over a dozen cotton swabs I cleaned the bottom of the carriage as best i could.  Also, thinking that perhaps the ink cartridge was not manufactured exactly to its proper size and shape, when i inserted the cartridges back into their slots I slightly pressed them in to be sure the contacts would touch. 

I was happy to see that now the error message is gone and my printer is printing again....well, at least for now.

Smiley Happy

HP Recommended

Thanks for your inputs Felinarena, glad to hear you resolved the problem

🙂

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

We have had the same problem with our Officejet 7410, have always used HP cartridges.  When inserting new colour cartridge got the error msg, eventually after restarting and reinserting a couple of times, we looked with a torch and found that there was black ink everywhere below where the colour cartridge had been inserted.  Black cartridge perfectly clean and nothing around that.  Tried to clean off but this is quite tricky, will go check out the method suggested but there's a lot of ink, heading down below the cartridge position so am wondering how effective this will be.

Thanks to all for the input already on this subject.

Cheers

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.