Question

Honor Student
bewick
Message 1 of 6 (98 Views)
Accepted Solution

fitting 56 cartridge to 5150

Friend's machine.  "sliding" the cartridge in or out simply doesn't work as described in the manual. Managed to get the cartridge out but no way can I refit it. A metal bar along the top is too low to allow the cartridge access. The plastic along the bottom front of the cartridge bay is too high to allow the extended front of the cartridge body - the bit with the circuit on the bottom - to slide in or the top of the body to negotiate the plastics on the "carrier" Perhaps not well explained but am I missing something? Scared to apply force in case of breakage.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 6 (89 Views)

Re: fitting 56 cartridge to 5150

The printer needs to be turned on to change the cartridges - when the lid is opened the carriage will move to the center where the cartridges should be accessible.  See the document here.

Follow these steps to install the cartridges.

1. Make sure the product is on.
  2. Open the top cover. Wait until the carriage moves to the center of the product and is idle and silent.
  3. Open the cartridge latch.
  4. If you are replacing the cartridge, slide the old cartridge out of its slot.
Figure 6: Open the product and remove the old cartridge
Open the product and remove the old cartridge
Remove a new cartridge from its packaging, and then carefully remove the plastic tape. Hold the cartridge so that the copper strip is on the bottom.
CAUTION:Do not touch the cartridge ink nozzles or copper contacts. Touching these parts will result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections. Do not remove the copper strips. They are required electrical contacts.
Figure 7: Remove the protective tape
Remove the protective tape
  1. Slide the cartridge firmly into the cradle. Make sure that the copper contacts of the cartridge meet the copper contacts inside the printer.
  2. Press down on the cartridge latch until it snaps closed.
  3. Close the top cover.
Figure 8: Insert the new cartridge
Insert the new cartridge

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
bewick
Message 3 of 6 (82 Views)

Thanks Bob but it doesn't help. I already have the manual for the deskjet 5150 and it is the instructions you detail which are giving me the trouble. "Sliding" is next to impossible. With the actual 5150 (not the one pictured in your answer) the print cradle is on the right and not centred, The bulge at the bottom of the cartridge - where the bottom circuit is - fouls the plastic in front of the cradle. The metal bar across the cradle also interferes. There must be a trick which I don't know and isn't documented properly. Thank goodness my own printer is a different make with easy cartridge replacement.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 6 (76 Views)

The plastic in front of the cartridge when it is in the service area should move down and out of the way when the lid is opened.  If it does not the document here may help resolve the issue.

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

Honor Student
bewick
Message 5 of 6 (66 Views)

Bob. thank you. Magic. Followed the instructions in the document you linked and problem solved. One happy old lady.

No idea why her printer glitched and no point wondering since it is fixed now. Thanks again.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 6 of 6 (62 Views)

Glad I could help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation