Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have an HP Officejet 6500A Plus. I've replaced the ink in the printer several times since I purchased it, however I've had A LOT of problems with these cartridges. I keep getting the error prompt "the following cartridges appear to be missing or damaged." I've owned HP printers since the early days with my first Mac, but never have I had this problem. There is no real secret to installing these cartridges, but I waste more time getting error message off than I do printing. That's not productive.

So if I'm missing something, please tell me what because this sure is a pain.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sorry to hear about your issue. Try walking though this document and see if this resolves your issue.

'The following ink cartridge appears to be missing or damaged' Error Message Displays on the Product

Please post back and let me know if this solved your issue. I want to make sure the issue is resolved Robot Very Happy

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

Sorry to hear about your issue. Try walking though this document and see if this resolves your issue.

'The following ink cartridge appears to be missing or damaged' Error Message Displays on the Product

Please post back and let me know if this solved your issue. I want to make sure the issue is resolved Robot Very Happy

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Well Sean, I can now print although it wasn't as simple as the directions indicate. I must have removed the cartridges five times before it worked. I've never had this amount of trouble with a HP printer. I'll remember that the next time I'm in the market.

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Im glad it solved the issue. If you have any other questions dont hesitate to post them.

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Sorry to jump ship! I have the same problem although my printer is the Officejet Pro L7680 All-In-One. I tried to reset all my ink carts but no luck.

HP Recommended

DITTO!   I am not sure what happened recently, but in the middle of a print job yesterday my Officejet Pro L7580 just quit printing and displayed this message. 

I have tried 3 other cartridges and done everything I could find to get it to start printing again but it doesnt do anything. 

I have unplugged, reseated, restarted, cleaned, checked and screamed to no avail.

Please help!

Thanks,

HP Recommended

Found out the printer is damaged and not worth getting fixed. RIP:mansad:

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have a HP officejet6500A Plus as well and have gone thru all of the sugestions with no luck still getting the error on the yellow cartlage. The printer used to print in black only and now i can't even do that...it makes it impossible to run a business if i can't print...I even uninstalled the  drivers and re-installed so am at a loss..

any help would be apreciated....only have had this HP for 1 yr ..I know we live in a disposable era but that is ridiculous..

L

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have a HP officejet6500A Plus as well and have gone thru all of the sugestions with no luck still getting the error on the yellow cartlage. The printer used to print in black only and now i can't even do that...it makes it impossible to run a business if i can't print...I even uninstalled the  drivers and re-installed so am at a loss..

any help would be apreciated....only have had this HP for 1 yr ..I know we live in a disposable era but that is ridiculous..

HP Recommended

After doing a lot of reading online, I am extremely pissed off about this.  This has to be an obvious product defect if THIS MANY people are having THE SAME problem.

My 6500 has decided to be "iffy" with the magenta cartridge.  I, too, have done everything everyone has suggested.  This happened several months ago, and I got a replacement cartridge from HP, and it was fine.  Now it has happened again, and this time it is not so fine.  I have five magenta cartridges here.  I have managed to get two of them to be recognized by my printer.  Unfortunately the two it will recognize are not full of ink.  AT LEAST I can get the printer to work, but unfortunately I can't print in color.

What I find really odd is that the ONE cartridge that would CONSISTENTLY work had a completely different "chip" on it than the others.  I did some research on the chip.  The cartridge that always works for me, without fail, is the old HP type of cartridge that has a chip that is fully exposed.  The chip on the cartridge looks like this, with the black thing showing:

Capture.JPG

All of the other magenta cartridges I have (and all other cartridges I have here) do not have the entire chip showing - just the four gold columns, not the black thing that you see here.

I am convinced that when HP changed their chip (I have read they changed it to prevent people from somehow refilling the cartridges), that is when all of our problems with our printers probably started.  If I can put three other cartridges in this thing and NONE of them work, but that ONE with the black thing exposed ALWAYS works, then there has to be something to this.

What I want to know from HP is how can I get another cartridge from you that has this type of chip on it?

And I'm very curious when the chip switch took place?  I imagine it was about the time everyone started having trouble with their 6500s?

I refuse to spend $70 on a print head when I've read from a lot of people that it doesn't fix their problem.  Besides, a new printer is around $100, so why would I waste my time?  But if this is a problem caused by a change in HP's chips on their 920 ink cartridges, we should not have to pay for this.  Give me a cartridge that works, or comp me a brand-new, equivalent printer.

This is ridiculous.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.