Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

This message I just read is a year old, but I hope you didn't get rid of your printer. I had the same "Missing or Damaged Cartridge" message and it was my printhead had done bad. Fortunately, I have two HP Officejet printers so I can determine my own problem by simply taking the printhead out of one printer and trying it in the printer that gives me the error message. My printer was still under warranty so I called HP and they told me to purchase new cartridges and I told them I didn't need too because I know in fact is the printhead and they immediately help me get a new printhead and my printer has worked liked a charm ever since.

HP Recommended

I have a 6500 plus and I started receiving the cartridge appears to be missing or damaged on the cyan cartridge after our lights went off during a storm and came back on, I know the ink cartridge has ink in it, and I have went through all the suggestions I found on here to fix the problem, and it is still not working, could my printer head been damaged when the lights went off and came back on.

HP Recommended

@beckycantrell49 wrote:

I have a 6500 plus and I started receiving the cartridge appears to be missing or damaged on the cyan cartridge after our lights went off during a storm and came back on, I know the ink cartridge has ink in it, and I have went through all the suggestions I found on here to fix the problem, and it is still not working, could my printer head been damaged when the lights went off and came back on.

Hi Becky

Try taking the cartridge out, cleaning it and re-installing. More details in the link below

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02073774

That work?

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

None of the suggestions made have worked for my HP7500A.  I really need this fixed asap.

I have tried three (Cyan) cartridges so far, have cleaned twice, turned of and on and unplugged and replugged....

I do a diagnostics and it shows no problem except that... now I'm getting an intermittent error on the magenta cartridge.

I agree that this is ridiculous and needs to be seriously addressed by HP.

As far as I know, these are not re-filled cartridges.. we get them through CDW.... if this is incorrect, please let me know.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi maebelluab,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue. If you have indeed completed all of the steps in the document within this thread, you may consider replacing the printhead. Here is a link for the HP Part Surfer.

The part number and name is:

CH639A HP 920 FIELD REPLACEMENT KIT, NA/LAR

More parts assistance ..

For further assistance with ordering or identifying HP parts, call (800) 227-8164 between 5 AM and 5 PM Pacific Time, Monday thru Friday.

Alternately, you could contact HP support, 1-800-474-6836 for Canada and US or Contact HP Worldwide.

Hope this information helps.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

SOLUTION:
My printer had the same.
Got the error message just after replacing the cartridges.
Following the website did not solve my problem. Also a new 920 cartridge did'n work.

Until I compared the old and new cartridge I see that the 4 gold contacts are not on the same place..
On the new one the contacts are more away from the lever.
I put a small pience of cardboard of the cartridge package and use some sticky take to stik it next to the T-shape on the top side. This will push the cartridge a bit towards the lever and my error message is gone.

/GG

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem.  I've now replaced the Cyan cartridge and it says the brand new one is damaged (after having said the old one was damaged).  I've taken it out and put it back in very carefully several times.  Any other ideas?  Nothing will print without the Cyan cartridge working.  Thank you

HP Recommended

As I stated in the post above, I had the same problem.

The reason of the failure is that the 4 gold contacts on the bottom of the cartridge are not on the same place..
On the new one the contacts are more away from the lever.

I put a small piece of cardboard of the cartridge package and use some sticky tape to stick it close to and next to the T-shape on the top side (opposite the lever). 
This will push the cartridge just a bit forward towards the lever and my error message is gone.

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Replace your original cartrige's chip to new one.then you'ill see it work better

HP Recommended

@gg61 wrote:

I put a small piece of cardboard of the cartridge package and use some sticky tape to stick it close to and next to the T-shape on the top side (opposite the lever). 
This will push the cartridge just a bit forward towards the lever and my error message is gone.

Hope this helps.

After hours of cleaning and reseating the cartridges repeatedly, this finally fixed the issue for me too.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.