Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP Photosmart 5510 won't print black before and after installing new cartridge.  Have done specified checks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Yes, I was referring to cleaning the printhead manually. I see that the 5510 does not have the option to manually take out the printhead.

You can click on your SETUP menu on your screen and go to TOOLS, and clean print head from there.

If this doesn't resolve your issue, you may need a print head replacement.
Contact HP Total Care (1800-474-6836), and if your unit is in warranty, its free of charge.

Let me know if this helps, thanks.
**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
HP Recommended
What OS are you using?

How is the printer connected to the computer?

If you make a copy from the printer, will that print black?
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

Mac OS Version 10.6.8, wireless connection, won't print black either from printer or computer.

HP Recommended
eute56, it seems that you have a hardware issue with your black ink cartridge. Here is a document below that may help you with this problem.

http://goo.gl/OTmPV

Let me know if this helps, and if you have any questions, please ask.
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
HP Recommended

I have done all of the steps listed in http://goo.gl/OTmPV with no appearance of black print.  Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended
Another suggestion would be to manually clean the print head.

1. When you take each cartridge out, it is a LEVER to the right of the basket.
2. Lift LEVER and take basket area out. This is your print head.
3. Clean with damped lint free cloth, and re-install.

If this step does not work, you may have to contact HP Total Care (1800-474-6836), and could get a replacement print head.

Let me know if this helps.
HP Recommended

I removed all print cartridges and do no see a "lever" to remove the basket that holds the cartridges.  I did pull upward on a bar at the lower right hand corner of the basket but stopped short of applying much force since it did not seem to be a release lever.  Are you speaking of the procedure to manually clean the print heads of the 5510?

HP Recommended
Yes, I was referring to cleaning the printhead manually. I see that the 5510 does not have the option to manually take out the printhead.

You can click on your SETUP menu on your screen and go to TOOLS, and clean print head from there.

If this doesn't resolve your issue, you may need a print head replacement.
Contact HP Total Care (1800-474-6836), and if your unit is in warranty, its free of charge.

Let me know if this helps, thanks.
HP Recommended

Rudy--thank you for your help.  I did an online chat with Monica at HP and they agree that here must be a defective print head.  They are sending a replacement printer via warranty.

HP Recommended

Very disappointed with printer quality.

Had Photosmart 5510 for 15 months when it stopped printing black but all ccolors & alignment were fine. Replacing cartridge and cleaning  printhead did not solve problem. HP support response was essentially "tough luck " out of 1 year warranty. We no longer repair printers anymore as repair cost is greater than new purchase.

New discounted printer selling for $100 and refurbished units for $70. Two sets of color cartridges cost as much as the printer! 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.