Question

Honor Student
disillusioned
Message 1 of 24 (32,622 Views)
Accepted Solution

hp 61 cartridge (refill?)/hp deskjet 1050, series J410, landfill printer/scanner

I bought an hp deskjet 1050 (J410 series) printer/scanner, about 3-4 weeks ago, at Future Shop, for $29.99. I used all the ink in the hp 61 black ink cartridge, called a local outlet for a large cartridge refilling business & was told they could refill it. They did.

Now, the printer/scanner is displaying the attached message & refusing to print.

hp ink-printer replacement message.jpg

What is the opposite of "green"? Has hp not heard the terms "reduce, reuse and recycle"?

Is hp really so short-sighted that they hired engineers to design printers and cartridges so that the printer won't work after the ink in a cartridge is used?

A new hp deskjet 1050 printer/scanner costs $29.99 at Future Shop. An hp 61 black inkjet cartridge costs $19.99. Do they really intend for the printer to go in a landfill after the ink is used? I used to think hp produced quality products - since I bought my first hp 21 calculator over 35 years ago.

I tried getting rid of the warning message (with the "close" button disabled) by starting Task Manager and ending the task; but the printer still won't print. Do you know of another workaround?

At this point, I'm thinking of returning the printer & shopping for a better alternative.

Thanks.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 24 (32,615 Views)

Re: hp 61 cartridge (refill?)/hp deskjet 1050, series J410, landfill printer/scanner

What exactly does the messasge say (it takes some time for images to be reviewed and approved)?

HP does not design cartridges or printers to prevent refills.  The printers do electrical checks before printing to make sure the cartridges are electrically sound to prevent damage to the printer.   The quality of refillers varies greatly but is typically poor, with 1/3 or more cartridges DOA.  See the study here.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
disillusioned
Message 3 of 24 (32,612 Views)

Re: hp 61 cartridge (refill?)/hp deskjet 1050, series J410, landfill printer/scanner

Sorry the inserted screen shot of the message was apparently not viewable.

The message says:

(Title bar:smileyhappy:  HP Deskjet 1050 J410 series

(Message icon:smileyhappy: "!"

(Warning text - bold font:smileyhappy:  Used or Counterfeit Cartridge Detected

(Body of message:smileyhappy:  --TriColor, --Black

The original hp ink in this cartridge has been depleted.

Was this cartridge sold to you as a new, genuine HP-branded cartridge that has not been previously       used?

(Command buttons:smileyhappy:  "Yes", "No"

I circumvented the disabled "minimize" and "close" buttons on the dialog box, rather than selecting either command button because I didn't want to execute the code triggered by either without knowing, in advance, what it was.

Thank you for your reply.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 24 (32,611 Views)

[ Edited ]

I would suggest if the message comes up again just say "no".   While HP does not prohibit refilling they are trying to crack down on counterfeiting, where refilled/reman cartridges are sold as genuine HP.

BTW, the refill place likely took your used-once cartridge and gave you a different replacement.  If you had gotten your cartridge back the printer would have recognized it and not shown this message.  I would suggest you contact the refiller for a replacement if cleaning the cartridge contacts as shown here (for a different series, but same principle) does not resolve the issue.

On a related note, I once donated a printer to the local high school.  Some time later I got a call from the teacher that it was not working properly.  They had replaced the #57 cartridge with a refilled one that had bad color in yellow (now green).  We got a replacement and had one of the colors missing.  Finally the third replacement worked.  I asked why they bought refills and the teacher said they were cheaper.  I asked if they were 1/3 the price....  You do get what you pay for.  

BTW, I do not work for HP or represent them, I am just a volunteer on this board.

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

Honor Student
disillusioned
Message 5 of 24 (32,606 Views)

Very helpful.

I'll take a closer look at the cartridge to try to see if it's different & put some identifying marking on them in the future...and try cleaning contacts and selecting "no".

Thanks again.

Honor Student
disillusioned
Message 6 of 24 (32,590 Views)

Clicking "no" generated a warning that HP wouldn't warranty re-filled cartridges or printers using re-filled cartridges.

Considering that the printer cost $29.99 and a new cartridge costs $19.99, I can live without the warranty.

It works fine now.

Thanks again.

Student
oobuntoo
Message 7 of 24 (32,513 Views)

The hard reset does nothing for my HP1055 j410e.  Nor does it recognize "genuine" hp cartridges that I've refilled which I purchased new.  How many serial numbers does the printer remember?  More than 3, because I have three, and I have cycled through them, but the only cartridges that do not generate the "counterfeit" error message is the newest set.  What am I missing?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 8 of 24 (32,507 Views)

oobuntoo wrote:

The hard reset does nothing for my HP1055 j410e.  Nor does it recognize "genuine" hp cartridges that I've refilled which I purchased new.  How many serial numbers does the printer remember?  More than 3, because I have three, and I have cycled through them, but the only cartridges that do not generate the "counterfeit" error message is the newest set.  What am I missing?

The printer seems to have less than three cartridges remembered.  It may ask about previously used or counterfeit for cartridges that are identified as "used" but that the printer does not recognize as used in that printer.  

Student
bennynebil
Message 9 of 24 (31,782 Views)

Re: hp 61 cartridge (refill?)/hp deskjet 1050, series J410, landfill printer/scanner/copier

I bought an HP Deskjet  1050, series J410,printer/scanner/copierabout 2 -3 month's ago.

I refilled my blank ink catridge because i have used up all the blank ink within 2 months.

Now the ink quality is not enough good as that of Hp (true orginal catdridge).

In the ''Estimated Ink level'' Menu bar the blank ink remaining is shown as zero.

which means that the printer is not showing the quantity of blank ink remaining in that printer.

Is there any solution for this problem. 

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 10 of 24 (31,774 Views)

Re: hp 61 cartridge (refill?)/hp deskjet 1050, series J410, landfill printer/scanner/copier

bennynebil wrote:

I bought an HP Deskjet  1050, series J410,printer/scanner/copierabout 2 -3 month's ago.

I refilled my blank ink catridge because i have used up all the blank ink within 2 months.

Now the ink quality is not enough good as that of Hp (true orginal catdridge).

In the ''Estimated Ink level'' Menu bar the blank ink remaining is shown as zero.

which means that the printer is not showing the quantity of blank ink remaining in that printer. 

Is there any solution for this problem. 

The solution to both is likely to be:  get a fresh HP cartridge.  It is not uncommon for refill ink to be poor quality.  The printer low on ink indicator is designed to track the original HP ink, it will not respond to refills.  You can ignore the estimated ink level, the printer will print regardless of the low on ink guage.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation