hp 61 cartridge (refill?)/hp deskjet 1050, series J410, landfill printer/scanner (28046 Views)
Honor Student
mrpco
Message 11 of 24 (9,288 Views)

Re: hp 61 cartridge (refill?)/hp deskjet 1050, series J410, landfill printer/scanner

Upon installation the printer has detected the cartridge has been previously used by reading the data stored on the microchip located underneath the cartridge.

http://www.inksupport.info/hp/hp-364-remanufactured/

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 12 of 24 (9,278 Views)

Re: hp 61 cartridge (refill?)/hp deskjet 1050, series J410, landfill printer/scanner

[ Edited ]

mrpco wrote:

Upon installation the printer has detected the cartridge has been previously used by reading the data stored on the microchip located underneath the cartridge. [snip] 

Not quite.  The 61 cartridge does not have a chip like the 364 cartridges.  The 61 cartridge does have an electronic serial number as well as a bit that tells whether the cartridge has been used.  If a used cartridge that was not originally inserted into your printer the message will appear and the ink level information will not be available.  (Ink level information is not available because the printer only knows that the cartrdige has been used, it does not have any way of knowing how much ink is left in the cartridge.)  For printers that use the 61 cartridge the printer will not refuse to print if the ink level is empty or unknown.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Honor Student
mrpco
Message 13 of 24 (9,272 Views)

The only reason I commented in this thread was that my daughters printer refused to print with

a refilled cartridge.  I had her take it out, turn the printer off, fill the cartridge back up and then re-install.

She then had to answer a few questions but then the printer started to work again.  As the article

indicated in the link I posted,  the status monitor does not work after refilling.  I wonder if there is a way

to reset the bit so the monitor works again.  I thought maybe if she refills before the cartridge is completely

empty the adverse condition of the bit might be avoided.

Thanks for your further insight in this matter!

Student
ebunny50
Message 14 of 24 (9,213 Views)

Hello,

I purchased an HP 1050 printer and it uses ink too fast.  I purchased a refill kit to refill the ink myself.  I've been able to do this with ALL of my other printers, but this one gives me problems.  I understand that it wants to use a genuine HP cartridge, I've purchased MANY, so my cartridges are genuine HP.  I just refilled the ink myself, but it STILL REFUSES TO PRINT!  Black ink is black ink.  The sponge has soaked up the ink, the cartridge is full, it is a genuine HP, I've run the cleaning cycles, and this thing still refuses to print.  So now after much trial and error I have several cartridges filled with ink that won't print in my printer. What is the problem with this printer?  Please help!!!

Student
vijay7777777
Message 15 of 24 (7,732 Views)

disillusioned wrote:

I bought an hp deskjet 1050 (J410 series) printer/scanner, about 3-4 weeks ago, at Future Shop, for $29.99. I used all the ink in the hp 61 black ink cartridge, called a local outlet for a large cartridge refilling business & was told they could refill it. They did.

Now, the printer/scanner is displaying the attached message & refusing to print.

hp ink-printer replacement message.jpg

What is the opposite of "green"? Has hp not heard the terms "reduce, reuse and recycle"?

Is hp really so short-sighted that they hired engineers to design printers and cartridges so that the printer won't work after the ink in a cartridge is used?

A new hp deskjet 1050 printer/scanner costs $29.99 at Future Shop. An hp 61 black inkjet cartridge costs $19.99. Do they really intend for the printer to go in a landfill after the ink is used? I used to think hp produced quality products - since I bought my first hp 21 calculator over 35 years ago.

I tried getting rid of the warning message (with the "close" button disabled) by starting Task Manager and ending the task; but the printer still won't print. Do you know of another workaround?

At this point, I'm thinking of returning the printer & shopping for a better alternative.

Thanks.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 16 of 24 (7,721 Views)

vijay7777777 wrote: [nothing]

disillusioned wrote: [quote snipped] 

Do you have a question?  You quoted the original post in this thread which was solved, but did not add any comment or question.  Please read this post then provide some details of your issue.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Student
tanveerzaman
Message 17 of 24 (7,487 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello Bob,

First I thought of posting new, but then I read this thread and figured that although in a different printer, I use the same HP61 Black & Color cartridges. I recently bought HP Deskjet 1000 j110a which uses HP61 and has that ink level detection technology. Do you think the solution you have given would work the same in my case as well (which means after refilling a cartridge I would simply honestly say they're refilled and waive my warranty)? I am still using the starter cartridges that came with the printer and have about 10% ink left in both.

Regards

Tanveer

Student
lafshops
Message 18 of 24 (6,310 Views)

Hi, I have an HP 1000 Deskjet 110.  It told me my ink level was low and stopped printing so I refilled the black 61 cartridge.  After I refilled the black ink, I tried to print and the page came out blank.  I tried to clean the heads and I got a message that it failed.  I tried realligning the cartridges and it printed in color, but no black.  I don't know what else to do to make it print.

Student
sarathirajan
Message 19 of 24 (2,810 Views)

help me please , i refill  hp deskjet 1050 black color manually but in printer the red light blink in the indication area for black catridge and the ink estimated level also shows empty but i fill it correctly what can i do ?????

HP
MissTeriLynn
Message 20 of 24 (2,755 Views)

Hi sarathirajan,

I understand you have a Deskjet 1050 and are getting some blinking lights after inserting refilled cartridges. Sorry to hear you're having this issue but I will do my best to help!

Please click here and follow these steps to help resolve your issue. I know the title is not what you're experiencing but these steps should still help.

If it still doesn't work you may have to get a genuine HP cartridge that hasn't been refilled.

Hope this helps, have a great day!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, as it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation