HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
06-14-2012 12:22 PM
Since switching to Windows 7 the Services tab in my deskjet 450 printer utilities does not appear. Is there a way to align the cartridges without accessing that tab? Thanks for any help you can give.
06-14-2012 04:43 PM - edited 06-14-2012 04:44 PM
Hey Radish! Here is how you can align the cartridges from the control panel:
- Disconnect the power cord from the unit, wait five seconds, and then plug it back in. This will reinitialize the unit.
- Print another alignment test page. If the Press Enter to align message is not currently on the front panel display, complete the following steps to print an alignment page:
- Press Setup or Menu on the front panel (depending on the model).
- Press the right arrow button (>) until Maintenance or Tools is displayed, and then press Enter or OK (depending on the model).
- Press the right arrow button (>) until Align Print Cartridges is displayed, and then press Enter or OK (depending on the model).
- To determine if the automatic alignment is functioning correctly, look into the output tray as the alignment page is printing; a blue light should be visible periodically on the page as the cartridges move back and forth. If this light is not visible, the product will not be able to align the cartridges and will require service. Service the product.
Here is the link with more steps on aligning the printer: Solving Print Cartridge Alignment Problems I hope this answers your questions!
06-15-2012 09:07 AM
Dear SeanS (HP)....
My mistake...I forgot to mention that my deskjet 450 is a mobile model and doesn't have anywhere for a printout screen on the model itself. I can't tell you which mobile model it is - it only says "hp deskjet 450" on it and we can't locate any other indication of model number anywhere without contacting hp and asking them what the serial number indicates about that.
I don't suppose you have any information about how to align the print cartridges on a 450 mobile model, do you?
The printer worked great when it worked and is so little and handy to take up to our lake cabin - but switching to Windows 7 has bee a glitch for us.
06-15-2012 09:23 AM
06-15-2012 09:29 AM
Does the printer show up in the Printer & Devices panel? If so see if you can find the option here:
1 Load plain paper into the input tray.
2 Click Start > Settings > Printers.
3 Right-click the printer icon, and then click:
• Printing Preferences (Windows 2000 and Windows XP)
4 Click the Services tab, and click Align Print Cartridges.
5 Click Align from the Align Print Cartridges dialog box.
This may or may not be available depending on the driver that is installed. Let me know if it is no available.
06-15-2012 04:52 PM
Yes - the printer shows up in "Devices & Printers".
When you say, 'click Start - I'm assuming you mean go into 'Devices & Printers' from the main menu - there is no 'settings' command available to me at that point.
I right clicked the printer icon and my choices at that point are:
Open in New Window,
See What's Printing,
Set as Default Printer,
None of those commands leads to a 'Services' command or tab. This is the method I tried when I looked up aligning cartridges in the manual. The only instructions are for Windows 98 and Me, Windows 2000 and XP, and Windows NT 4.0. That's where I ran into trouble and entered my question on the support forum.
The driver is the one which Windows 7 provides - it's already in the software.
I am going out of town tomorrow a.m. - so, I will resume my questions when I return...Radish
06-15-2012 05:33 PM - edited 06-15-2012 05:36 PM
Hey Radish. Here is the steps that got me to the option using Windows.
1. Start > Devices and Printer
2. Right click on the printer and selecting "Printing Preferences"
3. Click Printer Services...
4. Align the printheads
If you do not have this option then you do not have the correct driver.
06-18-2012 11:12 AM
Try giving teh HP Windows 7 Print Install Utility a try to see if it is able to resolve the driver issue. This should get the proper driver installed and then check to see if you have the align option I showed above.