hp deskjet f2480 (1104 Views)
Honor Student
paulalp
Message 1 of 7 (1,104 Views)

hp deskjet f2480

The print cartridge cleaner makes a terrible noise and brushes the cartridges repeatedly before every print job.  It has just started doing this.  It still prints, but it makes a horrible noise that sounds like it is stripping its gears.  What can I do?

Grad Student
Essika
Message 2 of 7 (1,100 Views)

Re: hp deskjet f2480

Take out the cartridges, unplug the printer.

Look inside the cartridge access door for paper and debris,

Move the carriage (The piece that holds the cartridges) all the way from one side of the printer to the other.

take out and reinsert the rear access door

With the cartridges out still, close the ink cartridge access door

plug the printer in.

when it shows the cartridges missing, insert the cartridges

Attempt to make a copy.

Trained on Mac and Windows for inkjet printers.
**Although I work for HP, I do not represent them in these forums**
If I've resolved your issue please mark as Accepted Solution so others can use my advice! ^.^
Honor Student
paulalp
Message 3 of 7 (1,094 Views)

I followed all the steps, but unfortunately, there is no change.  It sounds like the gears and the plastic, on the right side, that move the cartridge cleaning brushes back and forth, are not in the right place.  The cleaning mechanism goes really fast back and forth several times, before each print job, with an extremely loud sound.  The printer has sat in the same place since purchased, and had not been moved, nor have I had any paper jams, or other problems.  It just started making this noise when it cleans the cartridge, which happens before it prints.  Should brushing the cartridges occur every time it is going to print?  It seems such a waste of ink.

Grad Student
Essika
Message 4 of 7 (1,091 Views)

It definitely should not be making all those noises and shouldn't be cleaning the cartridges so much....

Try this

Unplug the printer

Press and hold : Start Copy Color + Cancel

plug in the printer and continue to hold those buttons for approx. 20 sec.

If that doesn't work, it is probably a  hardware issue and I would reccomend looking at a replacement or calling HP to trade yours in for another discounted printer.

Trained on Mac and Windows for inkjet printers.
**Although I work for HP, I do not represent them in these forums**
If I've resolved your issue please mark as Accepted Solution so others can use my advice! ^.^
Student
martin_hughes
Message 5 of 7 (741 Views)

My Deskjet F2480 makes a horrible and very load rat a tat tat plastic machine gun noise too when it prints.

It is very load and extremely annoying.

I have tried all the steps above and nothing changes. Has anyone cured this by taking it apart? What's happening in there? The gears are clearly grinding but which ones? Is it fixable?

Otherwise, another cheap printer will be clogging up landfill and destroying the planet...

Student
noplay
Message 6 of 7 (644 Views)

had unusual grinding sounds on the inside right of machine for about 2 pages , then it said paper jam. looked and no jam. opened doors etc. etc. tried all known garbage solutions to no avail. even asked it nicely with the magic words "please" and "pretty please"

upon closer inspection with flash light, as i watched page after page half load, stop, (press cancel) and watch the rest of paper come out. and repeat numerous times.. . . ... . . .  I notice the gear under the brush carriage not engaged and see that the paper stops at that exact point.

this is obviously a faulty gear.

or gear housing.

please advise on where to file .

oh and happy new year , wanna buy some new hp60 black ink , cause i don't think hp cares enough to send me the part.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 7 of 7 (598 Views)

hp deskjet f2480

That part is not available for purchase from HP. You might be able to find a third party dealer that will sell it to you though. Not sure what dealers still sell those parts, but you should be able to find one somewhere on the Internet.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation