Question
hp photosmart 5510 will not print black
Replies (96)

Tutor
EjayH
Message 71 of 97 (495 Views)

Re: hp photosmart 5510 will not print black

Know the feeling. Since university I have been the biggest HP fan specifically when it came to printers. I can't tell you how many people have asked me (since I'm an IT professional now) what printer they should buy and I have strongly suggested HP.

Now I'm embarrassed to make such a suggestion anymore. Personally I have had years if good service from about 15 personal and work HP printers; yet the last 2x private ones have let me down badly. I bought a real cheapie before the 5510 and it lasted about 40 pages over about a year and a half... Had trouble from day one with all kinds of funnies. Told myself I was an idiot to buy such a cheap one... So thought I would up it just a bit to low medium range and get the 5510... Worked well the first set of cartridges... Then all hell broke lose.

I print very little... But when I do... I really need to. Sad I'm looking elsewhere than HP for a replacement.
Top Student
cchseal2
Message 72 of 97 (479 Views)

THE SCOOP IS HP KNOWS THAT THE PRINTER IS A POS AND THEY ARE REFUSING TO RECAL OR REPLACE THE PRINTER.I GOT INTO IT WITH A MANAGER ON THE PHONE AND HE REFUSED TO LET ME TALK TO SOMEONE HIGHER UPTHAN HIM..YOU MIGHT AS WELL THROW IT IN THE TRASH.

Top Student
cchseal2
Message 73 of 97 (478 Views)

DON'T LISTEN TO ANYONE FROM HP.THEY KNOW THE PRINTER IS A PIECE OF JUNK AND REFUSE TO REPLACE IT

Top Student
mkwrrnrose
Message 74 of 97 (476 Views)

[ Edited ]

I've been using HP Printers since the mid 90's.  This is my third (3rd) HP Printer (in the past four years) that I have had to junk (recycle).  I'm now using Epson.

Top Student
Cricket1959
Message 75 of 97 (469 Views)

I just purchased and setup my new Epson.  It just wasn't worth the hassle with my HP 5510.  It is headed for the recycling cemetary.  It is discouraging, because I not only bought the HP, but I have spent a considerable amount of money on cartridges.  Now Epson will get my business. 

Honor Student
perhamoe
Message 76 of 97 (422 Views)

Hi

I have the same problem, with the black ink.

I have tried all the suggested solutions, but no luck at all. I'm hoping I can get the same PM  with the semi reset.

Kind regard

Per

Student
rrcpete
Message 77 of 97 (371 Views)

Same problem here.  Yet another defective product by HPColors print fine but no hint of black ink on the paper. Black level was getting low (but not out). Bought new black cartdrige ($26). Still no sign of black. Tried the onboard cleaning options but no better off.  This looks like an electronic defect!  HP is making very cheap JUNK.  Next printer will be Epson.

Top Student
Cricket1959
Message 78 of 97 (369 Views)

I finally gave up and bought an Epson.  I gave my Photosmart to my son who is very techy, and if he can make it work, he can have it!

Top Student
tedln
Message 79 of 97 (352 Views)

I had the "won't print black" problem with my 5510, but I was able to resolve the issue and it prints fine now. In fact, it is a really good printer considering It only cost $50.00 on sale at Sams club a couple of years ago. I'm looking forward to it's needing replacement. I intend purchasing another brand in an effort to stop paying more money each time for a set of ink cartridges than I paid for the printer brand new with a set of cartridges installed. I should have purchased a lifetime supply of new printers. When one printer ran out of ink, I could have thrown it away and opened up a box with a new printer with cartridges included. I do use the eprint feature occasionally and love it, but I get really tired of HP sending me free offers of printable documents in order to induce me to waste more expensive ink faster. The marketing strategy kinda ticks me off. I wonder if the "won't print black" problem is a marketing strategy. How many black ink cartriges have been wasted on 5510 printers attempting to find a cartridge which will print. Just curious.

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 80 of 97 (343 Views)

@rrcpete 

Is the printer within warranty?

Thanks, Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation