Question

Student
johnbeeston
Message 1 of 97 (17,234 Views)
Accepted Solution

hp photosmart 5510 will not print black

I have a photosmart 5510 which will not print black. All the other colours are OK. Have changed the cartridge and gone through all the steps on the diagnostic site without success.

I really need to  get it going. Any ideas gratefully received.

Cheers.

Regents Professor
Rudy1906
Message 2 of 97 (17,204 Views)

Here is a link that may assist you with this problem. It may a be a print head.
http://goo.gl/OTmPV
**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Honor Student
silvio51
Message 3 of 97 (17,145 Views)

Re: hp photosmart 5510 will not print black

johnbeeston wrote:

I have a photosmart 5510 which will not print black. All the other colours are OK. Have changed the cartridge and gone through all the steps on the diagnostic site without success.

I really need to  get it going. Any ideas gratefully received.

Cheers.

Honor Student
burnzy
Message 4 of 97 (17,138 Views)

Well, so much for my photosmart 5510 that won't print black.   It is only 2 weeks past 1 year warrantee, and it just won't print black,  I've wasted another 2 weeks trying to fix it by the guidelines in product support.  What a waste of time! 

I must be nuts but I just went out and bought the 5520 model.  So I can complete my work.  Staples has no solutions and there are no repair centers in my area.  Very frustrating!  I called up and tech support could only offer for me to buy at a discount 20 bucks off.  Wow!  I'm sorry, but I have good luck with HP normally, but 1 year old printer should still work.

Any body have any other suggestions?   I notice HP has not answered on the forum here.  what is the scoop?

very upsetting.

Regents Professor
Rudy1906
Message 5 of 97 (17,115 Views)

@burnzy, did you follow the steps in the link above? Try cleaning your print head.
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
XK1 Honor Student
Honor Student
XK1
Message 6 of 97 (16,776 Views)

I have same fault - new set of catridges been fitted and showed black to be full along with other 3 but with all the cleaning etc they are nearly empty.  New catridges cost £28 and I still have the same fault - will not print black.  My printer is only 4 months out of warranty.  I'm really dissappointed with this printer and have also found that although the ink catridges are reasonably priced I've used 2 or 3 times as many as I did with my old HP printer over the past year. 

Regents Professor
Rudy1906
Message 7 of 97 (16,767 Views)

@XK1, have you tried the steps above?

Can you print a self-test page or printer status report to see if any black is on it.

Student
DewesHP
Message 8 of 97 (16,599 Views)

I have the same problem. All steps done, placed new cartridge. Still not printing black. printer is 18 months old.

Tutor
Pam-K
Message 9 of 97 (16,569 Views)

I am having the same problem with my HP 5510 all in one photosmart printer.  I have been dealing with this for 2 days to no avail.   I initially replaced the black ink cartridge, and that is when the problem of not printing black ink first started.  Since my other ink cartridges were low on ink, a Geek Squad technician suggested I replace all the ink cartridges.  I went out and purchased all new ink cartridges, but that did not work.  I then put in another new black ink cartridge, but it is still not printing black ink.  I have run all the diagnostic tests on the printer itself and those offered by HP online, but still no black ink.  My printer has been used very little, and naturally, the warranty expired a few months ago.  I cannot believe this.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  FYI, I tried the HP link above, and went through all the things it recommended, but still no black ink.  Help!

Regents Professor
Rudy1906
Message 10 of 97 (16,538 Views)

@DewesHP, sorry that you are having the same issue. It seems that you are a issue with your print head. You can try to take it out manually and clean with lint free cloth and water (IF it is detachable)

@Pam-K, the same thing goes. It may be a bad or clogged print head. If you can take it out manually, clean with lint free cloth and water. 

If this does not resolve neither of issues, you will need another print head. Contact HP Support (1800-474-6836) to purchase one, or get it replaced. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation