Question
hp photosmart 5510 will not print black
Replies (96)

Retired
OrnahP
Message 41 of 97 (952 Views)

Re: hp photosmart 5510 will not print black

Hello All, 

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums.

Just a reminder that this is a peer-to-peer community of HP customers, and not a venue to contact HP directly. Most of the users here are consumers like yourself who are offering solutions because they like to help others, and any HP employees you see are here on their own capacity and not representing the company.

If you have additional or direct feedback for HP about their products or services, or questions about repair, you can use the link below for contact information.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OrnahP
HP Support Forums Moderator

:smileyhappy: Clicking the "Kudos Star" to the left is a great way to say thanks!
:smileyhappy: When your problem has been solved, accept the solution by clicking "Accept as Solution" to help other members in the future!
Rules of Participation

Honor Student
Susan1234
Message 42 of 97 (939 Views)

I am having the same problem as other people. A little used hp photosmart 5510 will not print black. I have gone through all the checks, replaced all cartridges and still no black. Up to this point I was happy with the printer, however it is out of guarantee so any further action is likely to be costly on top of the new set of cartridges I have just bought. Is there a solution? As so many people have had this problem perhaps HP should rectify the issue.

SG
HP Support Agent
Rainbow7000
Message 43 of 97 (923 Views)

Hello Susan, I seen your post on your Photosmart 5510 not printing in black ink.

I understand you have tried many steps to try to resolve this issue, however I recommend having a look at a document I found for you. If there are any troubleshooting steps you haven't tried, I recommend trying them.

I hope this helps you, if not you can also call HP's Technical Support to see if they have any other options for you.

Printer Does Not Print Black Ink or Color Ink, or Prints Blank Pages

HP Contact Information

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

R a i n b o w 7000
I work on behalf of HP

Top Student
tedln
Message 44 of 97 (921 Views)

[ Edited ]

My photosmart 5510 was only two months out of warranty when the same problem with black print appeared. It started when the black ink cartridge started indicating it was low on ink and the printer started skipping some lines of black printed text. I installed a new black cartridge and it would not print in black. I followed all the suggested procedures for head cleaning and head alignmet without success.  I had read one comment which said the user didn't try to print anything on his printer for a couple of days after the problem appeared. When he did try again, his printer worked perfectly. I left my printer turned on overnight and tried again twenty four hours later and it printed perfectly.

Apparently, if you alllow a black cartridge to be totally depleted of ink, it may take a period of time for ink in a new cartridge to reach the printhead. The printhead may have an ink resovoir which when depleted of ink requires some time to refill from the new cartridge.

If your printer will not print with black ink after installing a new ink cartridge, allow it to sit overnight and try again. It solved my problem and it may solve your problem.

Ted

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 45 of 97 (906 Views)

Hi Ted,

Thanks for your inputs. I'm glad to hear that leaving the cartridge to sit overnight in the printer helped to solve the issue.

Could I please ask do you generally switch the printer off at the power button, so that the Printhead gets capped (rather than just plug out at the wall?). Also, typically how many pages per month do you print?

Thanks

Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Top Student
tedln
Message 46 of 97 (901 Views)

[ Edited ]

Clara,

I don't turn the printer off unless I am having problems and want a total reboot. I think the instructions call for unplugging the power cord at the printer and the wall for fifteen seconds to acheive a total reboot. I left the printer turned on over night to see if the problem would resolve itself given sufficient time. I left it turned on in case the printhead has a heating element to facilitate ink movement. If the printer was turned off, the heat element wouldn't work. I really don't know if they do have heat elements.

We probably print more than one hundred pages per month and 90% of those pages use black ink only.

The only time the problem of black not printing has occurred is when the ink cartridge and printhead ink supply are exhausted before replacing the cartridge. It seems to simply require sufficient time for the gravity fed ink to resupply the print head.

I suspet the ink in the HP cartridges is more viscous than it needs to be requireing extended times for the ink to travel by absorption from the cartridge to the printhead.

Ted

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 47 of 97 (884 Views)

Thanks for the feedback Ted. Yea, it sounds like air in the system needed some time to dissipate. 

Any more problems, please come back to let us know.

Thanks

Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Top Student
mkwrrnrose
Message 48 of 97 (865 Views)

I may have missed something, or this may begin a new thread.

My HP 5510 -5512 will not print black. It does print black brackets on the status report--bith no black between the brackets.

I have exhausted all my other colors cleaning my print head.  While the printer will not print black on any page, IT DOES PRINT BLACK BRACKETS WHEN I PRINT A STATUS REPORT.  Anyone have a solution?  I've already replaced the HP printer with an Epson; however, I would still like to know how to get tis printer workingso I can use up the $79 worth of brand new black ink cartridges;

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 49 of 97 (859 Views)

The "black" you see on the test page is actually a mixture of color inks.  I would suggest going through the troubleshooting steps in this thread, especially make sure to check that the vents are not clogged.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
tedln
Message 50 of 97 (855 Views)

I decided after cleaning the printhead a couple of times and attempting to align the printhead a couple of times, I was simply wasting ink. If any ink was managing to move from the black inck cartridge to the printhead, I was wasting it with the maintanence procedures. Thats when I decided to let it set overnight and give it some time to move ink to the printhead. While I may not have known exactly what I was doing, it did work and my printer is working fine.

Ted

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation